"Iron Out" on yellowish tablecloth?

linnea56July 28, 2014

I bought a crocheted tablecloth with a yellow cast. It's not ecru or beige: that I'd like. It has an odd look: though the color is consistent when you look at the piece as a whole, close up, you see some fibers are whiter than others.

There are no stains or damage. I don't think it is very old, though it seems to be cotton and not a synthetic.

The proprietor of the antique mall, who saw that I hesitated to buy it due to the yellow color, suggested I try "Iron out." He said it was safer than bleach. But I don't know if the color IS due to iron in the water or not. Is there a way to tell?

Has anyone tried this product?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyca_gw

I crochet- you say you like beige, go that way, it's safe. Take several regular tea bags & bring water to boil & put the tea bags in then after tea is really strong take bags out, let it cool off & fill washing machine with cool water, add tea & mix well you could just use 1/2 the tea & soak the tablecloth in it for awhile, if you like the color then finish washing it & add 1 cup white vinegar to the rinse cycle to set the color in better. If it needs more color add more tea water. That would give you a beige color without maybe getting a hole in it from harsh product. Best to lay it out flat to dry or gentle cycle if you prefer. Have couple of old light color towels in the dryer as easier on the tablecloth & won't get so hot.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 10:37PM
linnea56

Thank you! Yes, I have hesitations about using this product. If the maker just used a yellow tone thread because she wanted to, then it would be useless.

My mother used to tea dye my grandmotherâÂÂs crochet for her, but I was a child when I saw her do it, and didnâÂÂt know the details. I didnâÂÂt know about the vinegar, for example. Thank you for your excellent description of how to do it.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 2:00PM
hounds_x_two

Put it in the bathtub, and try soaking it in Biz or (my favorite) Orvus Equine Soap. A while back, there was a thread at "the Kitchen Table" on this very same topic.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 11:02PM
craftslady1

I think it would be a shame to dye a tablecloth with tea unless you REALLy want it to be darker! Why don't you try restoring it to its original whiteness first, using a very gentle product like Mama's Miracle Linen Soak. I've rarely seen any discoloration that this product didn't remove, and it doesn't harm the cloth in any way. You can always tea-dye the tablecloth later if you still don't like the way it looks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mama's Miracle Linen Soak

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 7:54PM
linnea56

One day when the sun was falling on it just right, I saw why some threads looked whiter: there is a white powder on them. Starch! I flipped it over, and the other side is solid colored pale yellow.

Bookmark   September 25, 2014 at 10:00PM
More Discussions
What kind of fur is this?
Is it possible to identify what kind of fur this coat...
rfdriver
Trying to ID style of decoration on this 19th century table
This table (called a "plant stand" by the...
jacqueline9CA
Three crown stamp on fork: Swedish or U.S.?
Any idea on the age or authenticity of this brass fork...
bradleyd_svh
help identifying antique table
I found this table at an estate sale for 45 dollars....
moya0311
walnut panel
Hi Everyone, I bought this 30" piece at an auction...
sam_md
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™