Septic System Allowance

kelsey_growFebruary 12, 2007

Hello,

Has anyone on the forum had an allowance for a septic system in their contruction contract? We signed a contract with an allowance for the septic system as it was to be an above-ground engineered system and the engineering was not yet complete at signing. We were told by our GC that when the engineering was complete, that we would be given a price. When the mound went up and the septic system was installed, we assumed we were within our allowance. Over one month later the GC came to us and said the system was going to cost us thousands of dollars more!!! The GC did not send it out for bids once the engineering was complete. When we asked for documentation, we were given a very sketchy "proposal" that was generated weeks after the system was installed! We contend we are not responsible for this extra cost as we were not given any options to reduce the cost. (Take a bathroom out of an out building, have it competitively bid) We do have a real estate lawyer, but would appreciate anyone's comments or similar experiences that they could share. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mightyanvil

Try the plumbing forum

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 1:13PM
scottsamway

Our allowance was $16000 but final appears closer to $19000

Bookmark   13 hours ago
leareese

We had an allowance of 15,000. I believe that our builder had it out for bid before giving us that price. In the contract of course there was a clause that stated about unforeseen circumstances like hitting rock etc.. could increase price. We don't know what the final cost was since he didn't reveal, but obviously we were good. I would look into what happened and why the increase. Sorry, very frustrating. Go with your gut, if it feels shady then it probably is and may not be your last increase if he continues to do things that way. Good Luck

Bookmark   12 hours ago
More Discussions
New Build Floorplan, timberframe house, input appreciated
So I’m yet another person looking for input on a floorplan....
am_e
Master bath/closet suggestions
My wife and I are planning on building a house. We...
stancial
Master Bath Layout Help
Hi, I have decided to get rid of the freestanding tub....
noworries22
Doorstopper Dillema
We moved in about 2 weeks ago and are really happy....
aimless07
It's March 2015: How is your build progressing?
Zorro-anyone can start one. :) Link to It's February...
autumn.4
Sponsored Products
Doggie Dooley 2000
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
Low Profile Rock Enclosure
Grandin Road
Square Rock Enclosure
Grandin Road
Frog Beverage Tub and Stand
$299.95 | FRONTGATE
Dishwasher Pods
$10.99 | zulily