Burgandy...is it sold by another name?

Kara_vaDecember 18, 2001

I'm putting together a gift basket to round out some crystal mugs I found. The tin of mix I selected has a receipe for "mulled wine" that calls for burgandy. I've been to two stores looking for a bottle of burgandy to put in the basket. Can't find it. Wish I'd bought the tin for "hot butter rum". Can find rum everywhere! Do they still label wine burgandy or has it gone the way of chablis?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ann_t

Kara, It would be a shame to use a real Burgundy to make a "mulled Wine" Burgundy wine can be quite expensive, and comes from the Burgundy region of France,which is divided into a number of smaller regions. The grape used is Pinot Noir. You can buy some excellent Pinot Noirs made in California as well as Oregon, but again it would be a real waste of good wine. You are probably looking for an inexpensive generic "burgundy". I believe Gallo use to make one and it came in a jug. You probably do not really need a wine labeled burgundy, just an inexpensive, but drinkable wine will do. Ann.

Bookmark   December 18, 2001 at 5:42PM
kara_va_hotmail_com

Thanks Ann, I appreciate your help!

Bookmark   December 18, 2001 at 11:49PM
lindac

Burgundy wine is made from a varietal grape originating in France.
Gallo makes a burgundy that costs ( in my state....but it varies according to your taxes) about $6 a bottle. It's very suitable for a mulled wine!
It's called "Gallo Hearty Burgundy".....
Linda C

Bookmark   December 19, 2001 at 12:48AM
More Discussions
Worst beer?
The post on your favorite drink made me think of some...
AB
Light Coffee Creamer Out Over Night
Hey guys, so I normally stick to the garden forums,...
Dacocoa
Homemade Gingerbeer.
Some time ago there was a request for gingerbeer recipes....
joanmary_z10
How many tablespoones for a cup of coffee?
I have a mug so it about 12 ozs. I just purchased a...
harry_wild
Green Smoothies Question
Has anyone utilizing daily green smoothies noticed...
pink_warm_mama_1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™