recipe for eggnog

whisperyDecember 15, 2001

Sorry to be such a dork, but I have no idea how to make eggnog. Help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ann_t

I never make or drink eggnog. Something about "raw eggs", but here is a site with some eggnog recipes as well as the one posted on Martha's website. Ann.
Eggnog

Serves 26
This eggnog's rich, cloudlike texture is produced by separating the eggs and beating the whites before adding them to the milk mixture. The eggnog base can be made one day in advance; just beat in the stiff egg whites and whipped cream just before serving.

12 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups superfine sugar
1 quart whole milk
1 1/2 quarts heavy cream
3 cups bourbon
1/2 cup dark rum
2 cups cognac
Freshly grated nutmeg

1. In a very large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and pale yellow. Gradually add sugar to yolks. With a wire whisk, beat in milk and 1 quart cream. Add bourbon, rum, and cognac, stirring constantly.

2. Just before serving, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into mixture. Whip remaining 1/2 quart heavy cream until stiff, and fold in. Sprinkle with nutmeg.

Note: Raw eggs should not be used in food prepared for pregnant women, babies, young children, the elderly, or anyone whose health is compromised.

Photograph by: Todd Atkinson

Magazine Subscriptions : Catalog Requests : About MSO : Career Opportunities : Investor Relations : Privacy Policy
Terms of Use : Affiliate Program : Sponsors Index

Here is a link that might be useful: Eggnog

Bookmark   December 15, 2001 at 5:29PM
snowball

egg nog non alcohalic
6 eggs
1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding (3 Oz)
1 T. vanilla
1 C. sugar (I've used less)
1 tsp. nutmeg
3/4C. heavy cream
Beat together untill smooth add 2 quarts milk yields 2 1/2 qrts. I really like this didn't make it this year becouse of the raw eggs but I'm wondering if an egg substitute would work make it more expensive but this is really good.
Sheila

Bookmark   December 27, 2001 at 1:05AM
jamie_mt

This is kinda late, but it's very simple, and my favorite (and no, I've never gotten sick in years of making this or drinking it, even as a child - sometimes ya gotta live a little). I love it because it's not as rich as most - nice and light and foamy.

Basic non-alchoholic egg-nog

2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
4 tbsp sugar (just plain, white sugar)
2 cups milk
Cracked ice (about 1 cup, or 5 ice cubes)

You can make this in a bowl - beat the eggs well first, then add all other ingredients and beat. I make it in the blender - whip the eggs well, add everything else, blend it up smooth. Top with nutmeg - makes about 2 glasses, but you can double/triple/quadruple the recipe for more as needed.

Bookmark   December 28, 2001 at 4:48PM
morgan

A dietitian friend told me that the alcohol added to the eggnog will destroy any bacteria in a raw egg. (The same goes for the vinegar in Bernaise sauce.)
So, now, you only have to worry about driving home!
~Morgan

Bookmark   January 11, 2002 at 9:08PM
More Discussions
Gave up Coke Cola
I have been a Coca Cola Junkie for 20 years-I averaged...
brigitte-grisanti
coffee good or bad?
There seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding coffee....
Adams07
Kale juicing
KALE-AID KALE JUICE RECIPE It is low in calories and...
starraffy
Green Smoothies Question
Has anyone utilizing daily green smoothies noticed...
pink_warm_mama_1
K Cup Compatible Coffee Machines - NOT Keurig!
I'm not a coffe drinker but seeking to buy a machine*...
karyn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™