Mr. Beer Home Brewery

Sunny66November 20, 2001

Has anyone ever used this kit to make their own microbrews? I was wondering if it worked and how the beer tasted. The kit is cheap (around $30) and I think it would make a nice gift if the beer is decent.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jasavak

I have brewed five or six beers with a brew kit. I'm not sure what the Mr. Beer kit contains, but my kit was a five gallon food grade plastic bucket, an enamel coated pot, a hydrometer, bottle caps, a capper, and a plastic bubble stop. The quality of the beer depends on the malt extracts and recipes that are used. Beware of old prohibition recipes that call for pounds of sugar. I prefer to use only four ingredients.
Malt (barley), hops, yeast, and water. If you want to brew a low quality beer such as Coors or Bud Light, you can save money by adding very little malt, and add corn sugar, rice , or anything cheap that will ferment. I brewed beers from recipes from books, and also my own recipes. Most of the beer was excellent.

Bookmark   February 23, 2002 at 3:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jarvis

I have used it a few times and the beer comes out ok. But you may check to see if you have any local homebrewer stores in your area they are poping up all over. I purchased a kit about $10 more than mister beer and made far better beer for less money than buy the Mr Beer mixes.

Bookmark   March 24, 2002 at 8:55AM
More Discussions
Carbonate fruit drinks....
like raspberry, cherries, apple etc. Has anyone done...
Konrad___far_north
Eggnog: Vanilla Extract Separating?
I've been playing around with eggnog recipes. The one...
jsfox
Homemade Gingerbeer.
Some time ago there was a request for gingerbeer recipes....
joanmary_z10
Plastic Bottles?
Does anyone know of a source for new 2 liter pop bottles?...
Konrad___far_north
Broken Jaw, Need ideas (More details in message)
I recently broke my jaw due to seizures, so they couldn't...
Buzz8522
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™