Reed & Barton, rhinestone thing & others odds

Katrinka_FidoJuly 31, 2011

Several items from mom's estate I'd like 'proper' names please. era? any value? Still weeding out things & cant research if don't know what it is called. Not even going to attempt shining tarnished Reed & Barton ???dish? The bottom markings have numbers & a single candle in a holder above & an 'A' in a circle below. The rhinestone thingy has braided metal of some sort..what is it? Guessing the next metal thing is a bobbins? Any idea of time frame or what kinda machine held a bobbin like that(if a bobbin)? OK, the silver thing that looks like a tweezer on one end has a sharp point and swivels-other end has a hole in it-what is it? Not looking for a value of the HUGE Master key...would have been to WHAT? Thanks in advance for ANY info.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

The dish is plate....as I am sure you know. That is one thing you could safely dip if you want to...there is no design to take the oxidation out of...but I don't think it has much redeeming social value..LOL!
That cylindrical brass colored thing looks like a wax seal....are there initials or a design on one end?
Could that thing with the sharp point be an awl of some sort?
That last item is a bottle opener....what does it say on it?
Linda C

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 6:59PM
Katrinka_Fido

I knew the Reed & Barton Dish,Bowl is plated but from what era(weird plastic legs)? The brass thing I thought was a bobbin because there are a couple more with thread around them, hole in one end & a worn down nub on the other. The pointy thing has me baffled, I don't think an awl-tweezer like other end and the flip side of the 'pick' end has a center hole. The last item has NORTHMORE HOME PRODUCTS, MASTER KEY Pat Pend Highland Pk, Ill. What about the Rhinestone thing?

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 9:55PM
calliope

I'm still not grasping about the where the hole is located in the pick end of that little tool. Do you mean a hole in the shaft like it could be threaded like a needle down near the tip?

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 10:34PM
Katrinka_Fido

Here is another pic of the WHATEVER IT IS-flipped pointed end over.

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 11:31PM
lindac

didn't know those plastic things were attached to the silver dish...perhaps it's just a bad 70's thing?
The rhinestone thing looks like a brooch or clip with the back missing....and I think the pointy thing has something to do with weaving, sewing or perhaps leather work.
The lin k below shows all I can find about that bottle opener...

Here is a link that might be useful: opener thing

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 12:09AM
Katrinka_Fido

Anyone else have an opinion on tool thing? If the stone item had a back it would have had to encase the entire thing(which would have cover braided silver edge) since it is flexible and would have folded over if just a pin attached. Measures 4 1/2 x 2 1/2, isn't that kinda big for a brooch? Any idea on era? I believe it isn't an antique but it was and is a collectible. Don't mean to be a pest just want to know more.

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 12:08PM
lindac

I think there was a bar with a pin running along the center "panel" on the back.
What do you mean by flexible?...Like not rigid or really floppy?
Could maybe have been an inset on a dress or purse?

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 12:14PM
Katrinka_Fido

Like not rigid. Say if a bar pin ran lengthwise it would have sorta flexed out if you bent over but if ran width it would have flexed out more so. I just dont see an area that isn't smooth on the back where it would have attached. Now a dress or purse insert sounds like a possibility.

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 12:47PM
calliope

I was thinking the same thing as already suggested, that the rhinestone item may have actually been sewn onto a hat or purse (something not cleaned often and then professionally) and therefore never had a pin or rigid backing. I inherited a lot of rhinestone costume jewelry from a friend of my mother when I was a little girl. It was a big thing in the forties and even fifties on everything from hats to evening wear. I see that it is pronged to hold the stones, and that may mean it's a little better quality than some I've seen merely glued into a setting. It's very interesting and rather pretty but other than that, I'm not a jewelry buff and totally clueless.

I assume the little tool swivels so that the pointed end can revolve and be moved to any angle on its pivot? I'd guess the tweezer looking end is merely a handle of some sort to grasp it. It surely looks like some sort of center punch or scribe but not anything I am familiar with.

I've seen that brass spindle before and can't bring it up where.

Interesting little collection of curiosities and I imagine my mother's kitchen 'junque' drawers are full of similiar items she saved because she thought there may be a use for them down the line. Good luck.

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 2:11PM
Ideefixe

Those legs are lucite and a MCM collector might like it. I like the colorful enameled plate pieces. But if you want to sell it, shine it up=and not with some dip. Just use Wright's. The other stuff looks eh? to me.

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 3:25PM
iread06

Perhaps the rhinestone "broach" was sewn to the front of a cloth-covered belt with the actual closing mechanism (a snap or two?)in back of the dress? It reminds me of black, peau de soie dresses from the 1950's.

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 3:55PM
More Discussions
Copper bowls
Can anyone provide any info relating to these copper...
Cassie- LeBlanc
name on vase
Have any one seen this name before on a small vase,...
Dones
Can anyone identify this nightstand?
This nightstand was my grandmas and was given to me...
Michael Potter
camelback sofa
Hello there - could anyone help me to identify the...
jerome_shorter
Wanted: Blue Bonnet Margarine Vintage Dolls
I've been collecting the Blue Bonnet Margarine promotional...
beckame
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™