what is this tool?

charlie_cabinetmakerJuly 3, 2011


my wife uses this cast iron ebay find to put a pattern into whole grain crackers. it may have been a kitchen implement, or concrete tool, or????


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Dimensions help. It looks like an old fashioned dot roller, for roughing concrete but I've never seen one quite this small.

    Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 8:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Yeah, could be the stair step version of the concrete dimpler.

    Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 9:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Looks like a meat tenderizer to me

    Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 10:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Calliope is correct. That is a concrete dot roller. Little hand jobs like that were pretty common actually. Typically used when doing the final floating/finishing of concrete. If you overdo the final floating, it tends to draw the cement to the surface and cause "neat cement" that peels off later, or leaves an un-uniform "glossy" spot on the surface. A hand dot roller or line roller comes in pretty handy to remix the surface cement and sand "on the fly" that may not necessarily require a full sized dot roller.

They were also used among potters I believe.

    Bookmark   July 4, 2011 at 5:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Well, gee- you could have at least left the photo up until the post left the first page...

    Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 2:50PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Ruby cut to clear bowl set - help with identification
A while ago I bought this set of four ruby glass bowls...
W H Grindley Satin White
Can someone help me to identify the pattern? The stamp...
Mystery Lamp Company
Hello. I am trying to find out information about the...
What is this?
Picked up at a thrift store. Any ideas?
Copper bowls
Can anyone provide any info relating to these copper...
Cassie- LeBlanc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™