Need a haircut that suits my round face....

telly2June 22, 2006

Would love to hear from someone with experience in designing a cut for a round face....My hair is naturallly curly, except for around the crown & bangs, where it's poker straight.Shoulder length, fine and thick. I'd like to keep the length, since I'm partial to wearing ponytails and chignons. I've read that the ideal cut for this face shape would have heighth on the top and stay close to the face on the sides...this sounds suspiciously like a mullet to me ! Right now I don't have any layers to speak of. Any suggestions ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Joy_CA
    Bookmark   June 22, 2006 at 3:59PM
Meghane

I've been using HairStyler.com for a really long time. It's ~$14 per 6 months. You can upload a picture of yourself and try on thousands of hairstyles, and even change the color. Each style says if it's good for fine, medium or coarse hair, and for thin, medium or thick density (I'm a wavy fine thin with long face girl myself). It will also mention good face shapes for each cut. You can also ask for recommendations. I really do print out the pics and take them to my hairdresser. She thinks it's hilarious, but I've never been surprised about how a cut looks on me.

Here is a link that might be useful: The HairStyler.com

Bookmark   June 29, 2006 at 10:08PM
starz

I like hairstyler.com too. It's worth it and I let all of my friends use it too. Worth the price to me.

Bookmark   July 4, 2006 at 3:40AM
juliaw

This is probably not what you're waiting to hear, but it's possible to just make the decision not to camouflage, which is what designing a cut for a particular face shape really is. Why not just choose a style that really appeals to you without worrying about whether it goes with a round face?

The theory behind choosing a hairstyle for a particular face shape hinges very much on the idea that other-than-oval face shapes fall short of the ideal. Supposedly, a certain style will make a face appear less like what it really is and more like the ideal. In other words, there's something inherently wrong with round (or square). I think that's a fairly outdated way of thinking about it and I'm surprised that it still gets offered up as real advice.

I say this because I have an exceptionally round face (the very definition of), and after months of trying to find a short style that met the descriptions in magazines for what a round face "needs", I finally admitted that my personal style is NOT a round face style, and that I'd never find a style I liked if I stuck to what the experts recommended. Instead, I bought a magazine for short haircuts and went through circling all the styles that especially appealed to me, reviewing them about once a week and narrowing the options as I went, until I had only one left. I took that photo to a stylist and I now have hair that I'm absolutely thrilled with.

Yeah, my face is obviously round, there's no disguising it with this cut; but, that's my face. Even if you got a clever layered style that's ideal for "cutting in" the sides of your face, the first strong breeze would erase that effect. I say choose something you like just because you like it, go on out into the world proudly round-faced, and give those oval-shaped ladies something to envy.

Um, is this a soapbox I'm standing on? Allow me to step down now and get out of the way. :-)

Bookmark   September 12, 2006 at 3:35PM
More Discussions
Does Bare minerals make your face itch????
Another thread about Bare minerals...Sorry, But I need...
Carrie_AZ
Proper wedding attire
We are invited to my Fiance's nieces wedding in November...
arizonarose
You are over 60 with fine, thin, straight hair
that won't take a perm. How do you wear your hair?
pauline13
Skimmer shoes....socks, knee-his, or bare feet?
I know it's a weird question...but ...I hate wearing...
marc_ia
What is a good face cream to use,that WORKS?
I think I've tried every brand of face creams,night...
Dotty9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™