Old pottery pitcher found at local thrift store, any clues?

mveil1127July 7, 2010

I found this pitcher at a local thrift store. I collect pottery, and think this may be quite old. Any help establishing age and maker would be quite helpful. Thank you!

IMG_0490.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0489.JPG

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mveil1127

sorry photo links didn't work....lets try this again.

Here is a link that might be useful: photos of pitcher

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 7:06PM
calliope

It's a handsome pitcher, and aside from what is probably a pattern number on the bottom, does not appear to be in any way identified to the maker. It doesn't pop out as any pattern I am familiar with from our local potteries.

The only thing I can contribute is a gut feeling and that is it strikes me as being a domestic product, and although the wear apparent on the ground bottom shows it has been used, it doesn't strike me as particularly old. Stoneware pitchers have been a popular product at local potteries up until they pretty much ceased production in the last decade. I can't tell from the picture, is it a full-sized pitcher?

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 12:33PM
mveil1127

Yes, it is a full sized pitcher. It has a significant amount of crazing on the inside, and several tiny air bubbles in the glaze on the outside.

I think you're right about it being domestic, and the fact that it is nearly impossible to identify. I've looked all over the internet, and have found nothing like it.

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 2:25PM
calliope

Supply as much info as you can on your observations, because although the pictures give us a clear idea on its style, it doesn't really on condition or size. Crazing due to age should be pretty apparent over the whole piece, but temperature differentials are a typical cause of crazing on newer products. If the crazing is mostly internal it might indicate very hot or cold liquids were held inside it.

The old pottery industry in the U.S. were located in four or five key states who had appropriate clay deposits for production of stoneware. If you really think this is an older piece, your general area might give you a clue as to what potteries were in operation in those areas and what style ware they made.

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
Wood antique furniture one chest of drawers .
Trying to remove the grit coat off of the stain without...
Hanna
Need Help to ID Native American Jewelry Bracelet
I picked this up at local garage sale and thought it...
devincu
Antique/Retro Fridge Loud Vibration noise
My retro 1946 Frigidaire fridge started making very...
Tina Jansen
Question about Eastlake washstand that has two types of drawer joints
Hi. I recently purchased an antique washstand that...
Patricia Oliver
Sponsored Products
Broadview Chrome One-Light 15.5-Inch Wide Dome Pendant
$563.00 | Bellacor
15733BBR Bronzed Brass 4.5 Watts Wide Kichler LED Landscape Light
EnvironmentalLights.com
Korver Leather Corner Sectional Sleeper (3 piece) - Brighton Ciment Gray
Joybird Furniture
Hand-hooked Indoor/ Outdoor Capri Gold Rug (7'10 Round)
Overstock.com
Monogram Estate Flag
$29.99 | zulily
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
$29.00 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™