Chokecherry or blackberry

PaulNSOctober 9, 2007

I found a recipe for chokecherry liqueur that calls for a quart each of chokecherries and sugar plus 750 ml vodka, shaken daily for 30 days. According to reports it tastes like cough syrup, or at best very sweet, but improves with age. My wife and I harvested chokecherries just over a month ago and made the recipe, using half the sugar. We haven't tasted it yet.

Is there a reason the recipe needs to have so much sugar in it? Would it not keep? It's blackberry season now and I'm thinking of trying the recipe with those. What I'd like is something more along the lines of a fortified wine. What I'm wondering is, what is the minimum amount of sugar to add, to make something palatable.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I know some people who add no sugar to a cordial....with 80 proof vodka....nothing's going to spoil....but it doesn't taste like a liqueur without the sugar....more of a cherry cordial.
Try it....you can always add sugar!
Linda C

Bookmark   June 9, 2008 at 10:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PaulNS

It's chokecherry season again and I'm glad I checked back in here - GW doesn't forward messages anymore for some reason. Thanks Linda - of course, that makes sense. I'm going to use half the sugar.

The batch we made last fall was sneakily powerful - so delicious you forget you're drinking nearly pure vodka - makes you feel ready for a winter on the Steppes. Not good to send guests home reeling though.

Bookmark   September 4, 2008 at 10:30AM
More Discussions
Gin How to make it taste good
Hi we were given a large bottle of gin for Christmas...
Laurie
Homemade Gingerbeer.
Some time ago there was a request for gingerbeer recipes....
joanmary_z10
Eggnog: Vanilla Extract Separating?
I've been playing around with eggnog recipes. The one...
jsfox
Broken Jaw, Need ideas (More details in message)
I recently broke my jaw due to seizures, so they couldn't...
Buzz8522
Plastic Bottles?
Does anyone know of a source for new 2 liter pop bottles?...
Konrad___far_north
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™