Good Haircutter for Curly Hair

playsinthedirt20June 4, 2007

I'm looking for a really good haircutter who understands curly hair. I've gone to so many I've lost track, including one very high-end salon on Lexington Avenue in New York - and they blew it out straight! After I told them I wanted to wear it natural!!

I can't afford $500 for a haircut, but up to $100 I can manage a few times a year. (I'm in the New York metropolitan area, by the way)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anitamo

Not sure where it's located, but is there a Ouidad salon near you? I'm a hairdresser, but never got any formal training on cutting curly hair. Some experts claim it's the same as cutting straight hair, but I disagree. The problem is, there are very few classes to take on this subject. I did take a short class with Ouidad at a beauty show, but it was not hands on. I'd have to travel to New York and spend big bucks to learn from them, so I've put it on the back burner.

Your best bet is to call the salons in your area, and ask them specifically if they have a curly hair expert on staff. If they say yes, book a consultation and see if you are comfortable with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: curly hair

Bookmark   June 4, 2007 at 10:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
playsinthedirt20

Thank you. Yes, Ouidad is right in Manhatttan so I can get there. I was going to book a consult, but then read some not-great stuff about them on another forum. (one member had gone tweice, gotten just so-so cuts, and a lot of attitude the second time from the stylist.) So now I'm hesitant.

I like you idea of just calling some local salons and asking if anyone is trained to cut curly hair. And you're right - it IS different! Thanks again.

Bookmark   June 4, 2007 at 8:27PM
More Discussions
Wigs
I have decided to purchase a couple Paula Young wigs,...
lucillle
Can a fiftyish woman have oily skin?
What exactly is oily skin? I have an oily T zone, doesn't...
bossyvossy
HOW much for a cut and highlight?
I normally post on the quilting and diet club boards,...
miscindy
What is a good face cream to use,that WORKS?
I think I've tried every brand of face creams,night...
Dotty9
where Cathy Daniels clothing sold...?
I have a hard time getting clothes to fit well &...
vieja_gw
Sponsored Products
Brown & Teal Lucca Embroidered Bed-in-a-Bag Comforter Set
$74.99 | zulily
Nuvo Mocha 2-tier TV Stand
Overstock.com
Darlee St. Cruz Chaise Lounge Chair - DL101-33/303
$644.99 | Hayneedle
fluid Sublime Single Lever Lavatory Tap
Modern Bathroom
AICO Furniture - Chateau Beauvais Rectangular Dining Table in...
Great Furniture Deal
Paris in 1879 Tabletop Clock
$59.99 | Dot & Bo
Earth-Friendly Pet Bumper Bed by West Paw Design
$95.50 | FRONTGATE
Emerson Round Dessert Plate
$38.00 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™