whirlpool/Jenn air telescoping downdraft in reverse

ruralredheadJanuary 30, 2014

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and expertise. Our kitchen layout requires a telescoping downdraft in our island behind our electric cooktop. In order to maximize the space in the cabinet under the cooktop, I am looking at buying a whirlpool or jenn air downdraft. They are the only brands that claim to be able to be installed with the motor in the reverse position. Has anyone successfully installed their downdraft this way? Any lessons learned?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Change the layout. Downdrafts suck because they don't suck. Or get an overhead hood. But only if you have enough room to the sides and behind for this to be a safe set up. And most that you see are unsafe.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 7:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ruralredhead

This is for an existing kitchen island. We have 18 foot vaulted ceilings so an overhead hood is not an option unless we relocated the cooktop. That would involve changing the floor plan and we aren't prepared for that. We rarely have the need for exhaust but I want one installed for the once a month occasion when opening windows and skylights isn't possible.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 9:08PM
More Discussions
Difference between advantium and convection microwave
I had almost decided on the ge advantium (monogram)...
athensmomof3
Wolf is increasing the BTUs on front burners
When I called the Wolf showroom in Atlanta, I was told...
charon70
ELECTROLUX ICON FREESTANDING DUAL-FUEL RANGE or KITCHEN AID
I am about to purchase a dual –fuel, 30 “freestanding...
AreBe
Bosch Dishwasher Problems...
We have a relatively new (1-2 years old) Bosch dishwasher....
ronaka
How much Hood CFM to get for Wolf's 6-Burner Rangetop?
Let's say I use all 6 burners at once sometimes (not...
wcutiew
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™