Sonicare Toothbrush

brantJune 29, 2003

Does anyone have one and is it worth the money. What model do you have. I understand that they only last 1 or 2 years and then you have to buy another one. Thanks Debbie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ponderinstuff

Been using one for years. Don't know the model number. We have had a couple of them. My dentist recommended them. At first your gums may feel a little sensitive but they get use to it.

Bookmark   June 29, 2003 at 10:20AM
dragonfly2

I've had my Sonicare for 6 months now and love it.
The hygenist who cleans my teeth also noticed the improvement. Once you get used to the Sonicare, brushing your teeth with a regular toothbrush will be like brushing with a wet noodle.
But--remember to keep your mouth closed when using Sonicare ,, otherwise get ready to thoroughly clean the bathroom mirror. I haven't heard that Sonicare only lasts a year, I know you have to replace the brush heads every 6 months, but that's not a problem.

Bookmark   June 29, 2003 at 11:35AM
mqmoi

OMG. I cannot go one day w/o my Sonicare. Is it worth it? Oh yes! I've had mine for 3-4 years.

I concur with what Dragonfly says about anything other than Sonicare is like brushing with wet noodle.

You know how great and smooth your teeth feel after a professional cleaning? That's how your teeth feel after using Sonicare each and every time.

Bookmark   June 29, 2003 at 2:31PM
sheilajoyce_gw

I got mine at Costco, much cheaper there. I had some "pockets" in my gums, so the hygenist recommended it. My dentist was selling them, but more costly there. It has made a difference in reducing the depth of those gum pockets. She likes this toothbrush to fight gum disease.

Bookmark   July 11, 2003 at 1:50AM
Cindy_Mac

According to my dental hygenist the new battery-operated brushes from Crest, etc., are just as effective as Sonicare if you're looking for something a little less pricey.

Bookmark   July 12, 2003 at 4:20PM
LibbyLiz

This is a bit late, but I had to add it anyhow.

While waiting for an Rx I picked up a donated mag (Family Circle April 1, 2003) & found the following on pg. 22 (I removed the impertinent info.):

Is it Worth It?
Electric Toothbrush
"... new research suggests that the best investment is a brush that rotates in one direction, then the other, called rotation oscillation. A study showed this particular motion removed up to 11 percent more plaque and also reduced gum bleeding. Braun Oral-B invented the movement; look for the 3-D Excel..."

I know that when I went to buy an electric/rechargeable battery toothbrush, I read the packages of both Sonicare & the 3-D Excel. I saw the 3-D Excel had more oscillations than Sonicare & they went in a circular & in/out movement. Sonicare does not. The 3-D Excel also included 3 brush heads, whereas Sonicare included only 2. Additionally, the price of the replacement heads for the 3-D Excel were cheaper than for those of Sonicare.

Then Consumer Reports had this little bit of info in a sample of their Consumer Reports onhealth that they wanted us to subscribe to:

Fight gingivitis
"In clinical trials, Colgate Total reduced plaque and gingivitis 25% more than any other brand. Colgate Total is the only toothpaste approved by the Food and Drug Administration for gingivitis."

Bookmark   August 3, 2003 at 12:57AM
Gina_W

I've been using the Oral B for years and it's great. When I go for routine cleanings now my dentist shakes his head because there's nothing for him to clean! He did mention that he liked the Sonicare and I was going to look into it.

Cindy the Crest battery-operateds are like toys - they make noise but they don't do anything. I bought one to take on trips and it's useless. Don't waste your money.

I like the baking soda/peroxide whitening formula toothpastes. I think it's Colgate. It gets the tea staining out.

Bookmark   August 13, 2003 at 1:15PM
Cindy_Mac

Gina, not according to my hygienist. I started using one a little over 6 months ago and the results were obvious at my recent 6-month cleaning. No more bleeding gums and very little tartar buildup.

BTW, I don't know what other dentists recommend, but mine says go easy on the toothpaste. You only need a pea-sized amount. Most people go way overboard loading up their brushes.

Bookmark   August 13, 2003 at 9:57PM
Gina_W

Cindy, I prefer and would tell everyone to use any kind of "power" brush rather than old manuals. But if you like your Crest, you would probably love the more powerful ones.

I picked up a Sonicare last night at Costco - will report back in a few days of usage!

Bookmark   August 14, 2003 at 1:09PM
Lainy

I've been using a Sonicare for about three years now (still the original brush) and love it. I also use Colgate Total.

My son, who is the original "swipe and a promise" type of tooth brusher, switched to the Sonicare about a year ago. Okay well, I nagged him into it. And even though he does not use it properly according to directions - cuts the time short by a good 2/3! - his gums are in much better shape now than they were when he was using a standard toothbrush the same way. So I know the Sonicare does make a difference!

The only possible downside to using any electric brush is if you still remember the advice that if you have the flu, strep, etc., they say you should use a new toothbrush after you're over it. But doing that with a Sonicare or equivalent, would get pretty pricey! So what I usually do is use a standard toothbrush for the week or so that I'm feeling the most rotten with whatever bug I have, then toss it out and go back to the Sonicare.

Bookmark   August 16, 2003 at 6:13PM
Cindy_Mac

Lainy, sorry, but ewwww! Three years with the same brush? I try to change brushes every three months. Can't imagine using an old brush especially after a 6-month teeth-cleaning.

Bookmark   August 16, 2003 at 10:49PM
lindac

Another sonicare user here....my dentist is also a good friend.....and he says "sonicare!"...
And I change brushes every 3 or 4 months....
AND...I keep othr kinds of spin brushes in other bathrooms.....for the quick brush and swish.
Linda C

Bookmark   August 16, 2003 at 11:27PM
Gina_W

Well I started using it last night - boy did my tongue tickle! You have to get used to it I guess. Teeth feel very clean. I liked the fact that you turn it on and it beeps you to change "quadrants" then shuts off by itself.

I'll let you know if my teeth seem whiter in a few weeks.

Bookmark   August 19, 2003 at 3:35PM
woodie2

Wow, I am really late on this thread but glad to find it! We just got a Sonicare 2 days ago on the recommendation of DH's periodondist and our dentist cousin concurred. They said any model is okay, just important that its a Sonicare. I'm still getting tickling in my mouth :) and drooling a lot, even with my mouth closed :) Can't wait to adjust to that and get more efficient at it. However, it really feels good!

Bookmark   January 10, 2004 at 3:44PM
More Discussions
Lifestyle lift, yeah or nay?
I am concerned with sagging and turkey neck. LL looks...
bossyvossy
Laser Hair Removal
My annual bonus this year will fund something I've...
mary_md7
Help with dry frizzy hair
I have very dry hair. It's very fine and straight,...
Twinkle
You are over 60 with fine, thin, straight hair
that won't take a perm. How do you wear your hair?
pauline13
Regular down vs. ultra lite down
Help, I live in the south where down is not part of...
scpalmetto
Sponsored Products
White Royal Toothbrush Holder
$14.99 | zulily
Square Toothbrush Holder
TheBathOutlet
Submarino Bathroom Accessory Set by Seletti
$82.00 | Lumens
Silver Tails Dental Cleaning System 58400 - 58400
$16.99 | Hayneedle
Birillo Toothbrush Holder by Alessi
$26.00 | Lumens