Do the sonic jewelry cleaners work?

joannbmJune 9, 2006

I've seen them advertised but wonder if they work. Also,

do they loosen gems with the sonic waves??? HSN was selling one the other day and I have seen them in good catalogs and bad....just wondering.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Happyladi

I have a sonic cleaner at the optical shop where I work and I also use it to clean jewelry. They do work well, though I think some things like pearls shouldn't be put in them. One person had a small dimond come out of her ring, I guess it was loose and she didn't know.

Bookmark   June 10, 2006 at 1:19PM
lostleaf

I worked in a jewelry store for several years and the sonic cleaner was great. Happyladi was right, you shouldn't put pearls in a sonic cleaner, and not opals either. But it works great on just about everything else. Be sure and double check the instructions for other restrictions, but I remember using a sonic cleaner all the time for great results.

One of my favortie things to do at the jewelry store was to clean people's jewelry. Everyone was so happy when they got their clean jewelry back. Wedding bands were the best - I'd buff them and then clean them in the sonic and could make a ten year old gold band look brand new. And I got to do it for free. :)

A sonic cleaner shouldn't affect settings. If a setting is already quite loose, then maybe it would shake the stone out, but if the stone is actually that loose, better it come out in a cleaner where the stone can be found.

I've never bought off HSN, and I'm suspicious of buying things I haven't seen. If I were you, I'd go to a professional jewelry store and see what they recommend or sell.

If you end up getting a sonic cleaner, I think you'll be glad you did.

Bookmark   June 14, 2006 at 5:26PM
joannbm

Thank you both...I think I need this and it would make good gifts too.
Lostleaf did you buff the jewelry with a jeweler's cloth that had rouge on it??? curious.

Bookmark   June 15, 2006 at 2:15PM
starz

I got a bottle of something similar from qvc and it worked well for me. But, I agree with the other poster to check with jewelry store, especially if it's worth a lot.

Bookmark   July 4, 2006 at 3:42AM
More Discussions
Help with dry frizzy hair
I have very dry hair. It's very fine and straight,...
Twinkle
twisted silver chain
When I was in Poland a friend gave me a silver chain...
bleusblue
Lifestyle lift, yeah or nay?
I am concerned with sagging and turkey neck. LL looks...
bossyvossy
Eyeliner that will not smear? Have oily skin
Is there any other poster that has oily eye lids? I...
colorcrazy
Regular down vs. ultra lite down
Help, I live in the south where down is not part of...
scpalmetto
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™