How do I make 'knock your socks off great coffee'?

bnicebkindOctober 15, 2006

We do not drink coffee, so I do not know a good cup of coffee from a bad cup of coffee.

But I want to know how to make a great cup of coffee. We do not even own a coffee machine, so I will start there.

Does the coffee maker machine make a difference in whether coffee is so, so and knock your socks off good? Is the taste all in the coffee itself, or does the machine make a difference? What is the best medium priced coffee maker that makes awesome coffee, and the best machines if price were no object?

Now for coffee...what in the world do I buy? If I had several people over, and had no idea what they like in terms of flavor...what are some really great coffees?

Do I need a coffee bean grinder? What ones do you love?

Any advice is appreciated!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

If you don't drink coffee, you won't want to spend money and give room to a grinder.
I suspect you are talking about making coffee for a dinner party?
If so I would buy an inexpensive automatic drip pot...like Mr Coffee, or Black and Decker...whatever size fits your use.
The MOST important thing about good coffee is a clean pot...no old coffee oils please. I can't stand some people's coffee because they either use a pump pot and the pump part is full of stale coffee oils, or the pot is dirty.
And the next thing is make it strong enough! If you make it too strong, a little boiling water will fix it for most people, but too weak and you can't do a thing.
Coffee? Almost any good quality coffee will do for non coffee afficianodos. I suggest you start with Starbucks Breakfast blend for the widest appeal.
Linda C

Bookmark   October 16, 2006 at 12:55PM
movingwest

i disagree about those cheapo machines, consumer reports did taste tests some years back and found a real difference among machines. If you want to make great coffee cheaply, buy a large french press ( they come in one cup to six cup sizes) and great coffee beans ( starbucks is NOT great beans) follow the directions on the french press and you will do fine.

Now if you want to develop the addiction to coffee that most americans have, I would suggest investing in a higher end machine. the web site below discusses machines and beans and all things coffee:

Here is a link that might be useful: Whole Latte Love

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 1:09PM
akimbo

My number one tip would be to use really cold filtered water. (I have a PUR pitcher in the fridge for drinking water and also use it for coffee.) And make sure your coffee maker is really clean--but don't use soap to clean it. I clean my drip machine with vinegar occasionally, and for my french press I use a toothbrush to clean the filter well.

As for the coffee itself, I use a local roaster's, but I've also been happy with supermarket whole-bean coffee. Even though I don't have my own grinder, I prefer coffee I've ground at the store versus ground coffee from a can.

Bookmark   October 31, 2006 at 3:09PM
bluesbarby

I love Starbucks xmas blend, my DH loves an african blend. Everybody has different likes and dislikes. So it's kind of hard to find just one that's going to please everyone. A French press does make a good cup of coffee but it's also high in cholestrol versus drip coffee. Just something to keep in mind.

Bookmark   November 10, 2006 at 12:19PM
ant3eye

Here's some more tips for making good coffee.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coffee Guide

Bookmark   November 13, 2006 at 3:59PM
bodiCA

I'm with movingwest, drip machines are not needed for someone making coffee once in a while. A press (pitcher with mesh to press the grounds down to pour) or, my very inexpensive method, cold fresh water-bring to boil- pour over grounds in clean glass pyrex pourbowl. Let set a few minutes, then pour into cup through filter. You can even use a teapot if you have, and again pour into cup through filter.
Most coffee machines do not drip hot enough water and the warming plate is too hot and then scorches dripped coffee.

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 10:45PM
sleevendog

I vote french press. Watch a youtube video how to use it. No need for filters or any fuss and looks good serving and tastes great for those guests that appreciate a good cup of coffee.
Just put coffee on your shopping list before a gathering and have it ground at the local brew shop and tell them it is for french press. No need for a grinder. Get a 1/2 lb or less and keep the leftover in the freezer. (seal it tight and double seal in a freezer zip-lock)

(i use chemex but that gets a bit complicated)

Here is a link that might be useful: classic french press

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 3:03PM
More Discussions
refresher drink
Quick post any drink recipe containing vital energy...
Adams07
Muffins with Juice pulp
I've been juicing fruits and veggies and throwing away...
starraffy
SodaStream machine anyone?
I got a 'SodaStream' machine for Christmas & was...
vieja_gw
Rejuvelac: The best grain for the palate.
Is there is a noticeable difference in the taste between...
pipsydoodles
Broken Jaw, Need ideas (More details in message)
I recently broke my jaw due to seizures, so they couldn't...
Buzz8522
Sponsored Products
Set of 2 Zuo Orebro Graphite Accent Chairs
Euro Style Lighting
Filament Design Bathroom Lighting Negron 4-Light Polished Chrome Incandescent
$28.90 | Home Depot
Kichler Olympia Transitional Chandelier
1800Lighting
Pink Petal Rose With Glitter Canvas Wall Art - 20W x 20H in. - 41-499
$34.99 | Hayneedle
Bond Manufacturing Outdoor Fire Pits Corinthian 30000 BTU Envirostone Propane
Home Depot
Hudson Valley Dillon Modern Contempo Wall Sconce
1800Lighting
Go Pet Club Heavy Duty Mobile Metal Pet Cage - SQ1038
$115.03 | Hayneedle
Sea Gull Lighting Ardsley Court 2-Light Outdoor Ceiling Textured Rust Patina Fix
$70.00 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™