MBT sneakers tone legs?

country_in_the_cityJune 5, 2005

So has anyone thrown down $200+ for a pair of MBT sneakers? If you believe the hype, they tone your legs and butt. They look too dorky for me to wear to work, but I would be willing to wear them on the weekend. I totally believe in the benefits of exercises that work core muscles and improve your balance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
centralcacyclist

I'd never heard of these so I googled it. Yep, pretty homely! But I'm looking for a good pair of walking shoes. I'd buy a pair, no one sees me when I walk, anyway. I walk late at night or early in the morning.

Bookmark   June 5, 2005 at 3:03PM
Joy_CA

I had never heard of them, either. I checked out several sites.

I would not buy them, because, I have a very, very narrow foot and have problems buying shoes. I could find no information on shoe width, only basic size (length).

Joy

Bookmark   June 5, 2005 at 6:18PM
centralcacyclist

I'll have to find a store that carries them and try some on. I have some nerve damage in one foot which makes shoe fit sometimes difficult for me.

Bookmark   June 5, 2005 at 6:58PM
country_in_the_city

Yeah, go ahead and say it...pretty ugly. I hope we can find someone who has tried these out. I live in San Francisco, so you'd think I could find a store that carries them.

Bookmark   June 5, 2005 at 9:15PM
woodie2

Agreed, they're not pretty! But, the sandal type aren't any uglier than the other exercise/hiking type sandals and look like they have better soles and support.

I only wear sandals, never sneakers. I have a high instep and my feet feel claustrophobic in sneakers (no one except a high instep person would understand) so I'm always looking for good soles and arch support in a sandal. I even wear them in the winter with socks, yes I know, the epitome of dork ugliness. Thank goodness I don't care about that (well not much) anymore! However, $200 is steep for me. My DS spends that and maybe more on Mephisto walking shoes, but his last forever, they resole them when needed at a nominal cost. However, my feet get a litte odorifus after a while and my shoes will never last a long time, so I have to be careful about price.

Bookmark   June 5, 2005 at 11:52PM
chinacat_sunflower

yeah- Dr Scholl's claimed the same thing- and they were $20, and made of solid wood ;) (of course, they also gave you shin splints if you tried walking any distance in them- but that's another story)

I'm also prone to sandals (very very wide at the toes, I am- part hobbit I must be) and have found a good compromise with Sketchers- their new 'cycling' line, the 'fuss' sandal in particular has an open wedge heel, compressed foam foot bed, and neoprene uppers- as comfy as surf shoes, as bouncy as those sneakers with the 'exposed spring' and so far, they have not aggravated my feet's tendency to pronate.

Bookmark   June 6, 2005 at 4:02PM
lindac

Another high instep person here.....
Have newly become additcted to Romu's....check them out....very comfortable for me.
Linda C

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 11:01PM
peachieone

I actually got a pair of these last year - and so did DH. He wears his a lot and loves them. He says they really help with foot pain. I don't wear them that much but do use them for fitness walking, some training (GREAT for lunges and squats) and for some standing Pilates exercises. They do make you stand well and I find that I get a better workout when I wear them for walking. It does feel like they make you use more muscles. They are not pretty though...

Bookmark   June 16, 2005 at 2:01PM
country_in_the_city

Good to hear from someone who has a pair! Did you feel like you needed "training" on how to use them?

Bookmark   June 16, 2005 at 9:33PM
peachieone

In Canada you can only buy them at "Foot Solutions" and they did do a little training session with them at the store when we bought them. You also get a DVD. They are pretty easy to get used to but you need to start out only wearing them for short periods and work up to wearing them longer.

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 6:59AM
Salygal

Hi,
just stumbled across this forum topic. I have been using MBTs since March this year, and they are excellent. I used to do lots of running, and gave up a couple of years ago because I was getting hip/joint pain etc. constantly. I do lots of walking now instead, but was finding that even with the best trainers (or sneakers in your case) I was still suffering. I read about MBTs and purchased some off Ebay (only paid £70 - half price). They do work, I have not sufferend any joint pain since using these to train (walking on treadmill) my knees have healed as has my hip,and I no longer get back pain which is another added bonus. My legs etc. toned quite quickly too. I think there must be something in the '3 times more effective workout that they claim. The do look ugly, and do feel a little strange at first, but I am so used to them now, and wouldn't be without them. The big mistake people make is buying their usual size - you must buy a size smaller, as they need to be a snug fit - this is why so many pairs are being sold on Ebay cheaply, because people buy their regular size, wear them probably once, realise the fit isn't good - then resort to selling them. These were the best investment I made, as I am now pain-free, and more toned for less effort.

Bookmark   December 11, 2005 at 7:48AM
rachelacey

OK - my Crocs are looking cute to me now.... ;^D

Bookmark   April 5, 2007 at 11:49AM
threeforsailing

I have very sore feet all the time (I wore high heels exclusively during the 80s - now I'm paying for it). I saw these in a store, and walked right by them - figured the price was ridiculous. Well, I'm a bit older now and a bit sorer, and I happened to be in a store that sold them. No one else was around, so I tried them. I don't know about toning legs, but they were INCREDIBLY comfortable. I have a knee replacement in my right knee, and broke my left ankle 11 years ago (surgery, pins, PT - the whole 9 yards) - and no, I'm not in my 80s by a long shot. I'm now looking for these shoes on sale (hard to find sales). They didn't look quite as dorky when they were on as they did in the pictures and on the shelves. You can find them on eBay, but don't buy any shoes from eBay unless you've tried them on first and know exactly what size you need. They sell quick and high there as well. There are many places that sell them over the internet - again, try them on first or make sure you can return them (you usually can't on eBay). If you go to MBT's website - http://www.swissmasaius.com, click on "where to buy," and specify how far you're willing to go, it will pull up a list including store name, address, and telephone number. I live in a suburb of DC, and with a 20-mile search area, it pulled up 22 stores - including Naturalizer. For me to have done that much research, obviously I'm impressed. Try them out - I'd love to hear your reactions to them as well. By the way, I haven't paid less than $100 for shoes in a couple of years. The worst thing in the world is sore feet. If you have the right shoes, it helps everything else stay in line and happy. Everyone wears crocs these days (including my mother and daughter), but there is absolutely no support at all in them.

Bookmark   September 24, 2007 at 5:46PM
akeona

Ok I just looked and they are $49.99 and in limited sizes so check with your Avon rep

Bookmark   November 9, 2007 at 2:00PM
More Discussions
twisted silver chain
When I was in Poland a friend gave me a silver chain...
bleusblue
Hair cut advice
Have any of you had a V cut or A U cut on the back...
arizonarose
Regular down vs. ultra lite down
Help, I live in the south where down is not part of...
scpalmetto
Good night cream
I have tried a number of night creams and wondered...
gumspring45
Skimmer shoes....socks, knee-his, or bare feet?
I know it's a weird question...but ...I hate wearing...
marc_ia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™