Tom & Jerry Mix

EanerOctober 8, 2002

Years ago, we lived in a town where you could buy jars of locally made dry Tom & Jerry Mix. You could either use the whole jar or make portions of it. It was mainly sugar and spices mixed together and you could either mix up the whole mix or in portions. I think all you added to it was egg and alcohol. Does anyone have a recipe to make a dry mix like this to have on hand?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caliloo

WOW! I haven't heard of anyone drinking Tom & Jerry's since my gram talked about drinking them in her wild youth. Anyway, I recall she said it was a milk/egg/brandy/spices mix. I would mix the following for one drink and adjust as needed.

---------------------------------

Ingredients:

3 tblsp Powdered sugar
1/4 cup powdered milk
1/2 tsp ground Allspice
1/2 tsp ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground Cloves
1/4 tsp grated Nutmeg

To which I would then add 8 oz hot water and 1 1/2 oz brandy or rum. I would probably leave out the raw eggs, but if you really wanted that frothy top that you get from beating egg whites I would try making it with a bit of "Simply Whites" which is the powdered egg whites available in the baking section.

I hope that helps - I got the spice mixture form Gram's recipe book. She used warm milk, but I thought the powdered might be in keeping with your jar mix idea.

Alexa

Bookmark   October 25, 2002 at 6:56AM
More Discussions
wild fermentation question
Hi everybody, I've made ginger beer using the wild...
corpus
Muffins with Juice pulp
I've been juicing fruits and veggies and throwing away...
starraffy
Kumbucha?
Anyone brewing Kumbucha? :) Arum
dena_eft
Gin How to make it taste good
Hi we were given a large bottle of gin for Christmas...
Laurie
Plastic Bottles?
Does anyone know of a source for new 2 liter pop bottles?...
Konrad___far_north
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™