Are these buttons old?? (or just different)

justlindaJuly 6, 2011

Found these buttons today, and have never seen anything like them before. There are 5 altogether, 2 seem to be sort of cufflinks, but the other 3 are a puzzle to me. BTW, they seem to be women's buttons as they all have the same "flower" design.

The back shank seems to be a sort of pin and when pushed comes out the other end. It is spring-loaded.

Has anyone seen something like this, and if so, is there a special name for these buttons?


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

They are studs....meant to be used on a shirt with 2 button holes.....common on a man's formal shirt....but also sometimes seen on women's blouses.

    Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 12:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Can be used as cuff links on french cuffs.

    Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 2:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

No they can't....
Cufflinks have more space for the layers of fabric involved in a French cuff shirt

Here is a link that might be useful: Men's formal set.

    Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 9:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Umm....I knew that.....just kidding. I have never seen such a contraption before, but sure makes it easy to find when you know what they are! Thanks :)

    Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 12:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Removable buttons for a woman's blouse, because dry cleaners RUIN buttons or steal the expensive ones, or so you can move buttons between blouses.

My fashionista aunt had several sets. They slide through a hole in the under layer, and button normally though a buttonhole.

    Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 9:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

They look more like buttons for a woman's blouse as lazy said. It is unlikely that a man would have had flower studs-at least none that have come down through our family and we have some from the late 1800s. I think they would be fun to have!

    Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 11:53AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
name on vase
Have any one seen this name before on a small vase,...
Name on artwork
I just got this photo today, have you ever hear of...
Help ID Antique Chair
Does anyone know what this Chair? Where is from? Who...
Book with stamp.
Have some one seen this book stamp on a book ? and...
W H Grindley Satin White
Can someone help me to identify the pattern? The stamp...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™