freezing coffee beans

brownthumbiaSeptember 27, 2010

I'm not sure I'm in the right room for this but here goes. The grocery store that I shop at has a 'clearance bin' in the store and they have put some of the coffee in this bin. I looked at the expiration date and it will be outdated in Oct. It's in the plastic container they all come in these days. I am wondering if I would buy some, would it stay okay if I stored it in the freezer until I use it? Personally, I had no idea that coffee would be outdated. Didn't even know it had a date on it. They really have a good price on it and would hate to pass it up if it's okay. Thanks for your help. BT

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JoAnn_Fla

Here is some info on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: freezing coffee

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 8:23PM
jolj

Most coffee in vacuum has a 9 month self life.
Never had coffee that was frozen to taste bad, but my coffee is less then 7 days old, as I work in the roasting plant( for many years now) & can buy it the same week it is finished.
The new way to store coffee is in a gas flush to keep it from getting old. This can be completed the same day or with in minutes roasting & grinding.
Like a lot of site the above link is true, but out dated.
Degassing so the can/bag will not balloon from gas is a thing of the past for most coffee in the USA.
ALL the big coffee producers are now using gas flush to hold the coffee fresh until opened, then it will age as if you have just ground it.

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 4:25AM
Konrad___far_north

Whole beans in freezer is fine, ..I just take some out and grind then put in a can which last about 2 or 3 weeks.

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 4:03PM
Lesyeuxbleu

Hmmm,

It is all about flavor / taste. If you never knew that coffee expired, my guess is you probably won't mind the taste of frozen coffee beans. I love coffee like some people love a fine wine. I (hope) to notice the nuances of different flavors in the coffee. Those flavors are most present when the coffee is freshly roasted and freshly ground. For me coffee taste stale after it has been opened for about a week. If you don't particularly notice if coffee tastes old - lucky you! Enjoy the sale, and buy tons and freeze it=).

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 11:46PM
More Discussions
why my ginger lemon drink explode?
Hi there Ginger drink is actually natural drink that...
sherlyyu
Kumbucha?
Anyone brewing Kumbucha? :) Arum
dena_eft
refresher drink
Quick post any drink recipe containing vital energy...
Adams07
wild fermentation question
Hi everybody, I've made ginger beer using the wild...
corpus
Mirro Matic 16 quart pressure Canner
I have lost my manual for it. It was probably made...
jka1941
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™