Need a recipe for mint julips

Megan_in_WVMay 11, 2002

I have plenty of mint growing in my garden and I have bourbon. I'm thinking of making mint julips. Do you have the recipe and are they really worth making?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Make a simple syrup by boiling a cup of water and half a cup of suger together. Put a generous sprig of mint and 1 tsp of sugar in the bottom of a glass or julep cup...muddle it together so the suger gets mixed with crushed mint leaves, fill the glass with crushed ice, add 1 T. sugar syrup and fill to the rim with bourbon. stir with a long handled spoon from the bottom up to mix the mint with the bourbon.
As to if they are worth making?.....Depends. I got very drunk on mint Juleps once....thought I was drinking a lady's drink. So be careful....they can knock you on your ear!
Linda C

Bookmark   May 11, 2002 at 2:19PM
Megan_in_WV

Thanks Linda! I made them my, Mom and Dad (had them over for Mother's day) really liked them---I didn't care for them though. I think I just don't like the taste of bourbon.

Bookmark   May 13, 2002 at 10:33AM
raptorrunner

Just make them with less bourbon.

I like them with less than other people like them and you might want to crush the mint in with the simple syrup since the heat brings out the mint flavor.

Bookmark   June 6, 2002 at 10:28PM
More Discussions
Homemade Gingerbeer.
Some time ago there was a request for gingerbeer recipes....
joanmary_z10
Kumbucha?
Anyone brewing Kumbucha? :) Arum
dena_eft
Eggnog: Vanilla Extract Separating?
I've been playing around with eggnog recipes. The one...
jsfox
refresher drink
Quick post any drink recipe containing vital energy...
Adams07
Rejuvelac: The best grain for the palate.
Is there is a noticeable difference in the taste between...
pipsydoodles
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™