I need some wine suggestions

ashleybMay 2, 2002

My husband and I would like to try having wine every once in a while. However, neither of us knows anything about it. We don't like the dry wines and like the sweeter ones. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ann_t

If I am serving wine to someone who I know prefers a sweeter style wine then I usually serve German Wines. Although they make dry wines as well A Riesling labeled with the term Kabinett will be on the dry side, labeled with Spatlese will be sweeter and labeled with Auselese will we sweeter still. After this you start to get into a sweetness level that is a dessert wine. You can also try some of the Austrian, and American Rieslings and wines made from the muscat grape.

Also the Rieslings tend to be lower in alcohol which makes them great for someone who is not use to drinking and as well a nice wine for summer drinking. I would speak to someone at the store that you buy your wines and explain what you are looking for. They can point you in the right direction for your price range.

Ann.

Bookmark   May 2, 2002 at 9:51AM
lindac

Ann gives good advice....you might also think about one of the bottled sangrias....or depending on how sweet you like your wine a pink wine like a white zinfandel.
Linda C

Bookmark   May 2, 2002 at 10:59AM
ann_t

Linda, Good Suggestion. I forgot about White Zinfandel. A lot of people who do not know much about wines or just like something sweet like White Zinfandel. I call it Cotton Candy in a bottle.

Ann.

Bookmark   May 3, 2002 at 8:33PM
aka_raeanne

I agree that you might like to try a White Zinfandel - my favorite is Berengers.

Bookmark   May 4, 2002 at 1:32PM
mer4205

Why not try an nice Italian Pinot Grigio. A nice white that is not too dry yet not to sweet. A great wine to drink alone or with apps or dinner.

Bookmark   May 8, 2002 at 11:11PM
Lor_CA

I normally don't care for sweeter wines but recently had a Beringer White Merlot and it was delicious. Make sure you buy Beringer. I tried a few others and they weren't as good.

Bookmark   May 23, 2002 at 12:38AM
cookingrvc

If you're going for a Pinot Grigio, consider Santa Marghertia's. I loves red wine and am not too crazy about white, bit I do like this one.

Hey Ann, how about a (hold on to your socks while I try to speall this) Gwertztramina for those who like sweeter wines.

Sue

Bookmark   May 23, 2002 at 10:42AM
kelly18

What is Pinot Blanc considered (dry, sweet, grape juice)? I had it once a long time ago and can't remember what it tasted like and rarely see it for sale? Any help?

Bookmark   May 23, 2002 at 6:29PM
ann_t

I love good Gewurztraminers but not all of them are sweet. Some of the really good Alsatian Gewurztraminers are quite dry. The German Gewurzs tend to be medium dry to sweet.

Ann.

Bookmark   May 26, 2002 at 11:20PM
ann_t

Wines made from the Pinot Blanc grape tend to be on the dry side rather than on the sweeter side.

Also the Pinot Gris wines that I buy from Italy, Oregon or California, are quite dry.

Ann.

Bookmark   May 27, 2002 at 12:21AM
browntoestoo

Wine.com is very informative. This info may help you explore your options in the sweeter varietals.

Here is a link that might be useful: About wines

Bookmark   May 27, 2002 at 4:34PM
ramona

Hi Ashley,

I am wondering if the reason you don't like dry wines, is because of the oaking of many wines during the making.
Some Sauvignon Blanc wines are made
without being oaked and have a wonderful citrus flavor
that is very light and aromatic. We drink it for
lunch, or dinner and it is even good if you are having
a late brunch and want to serve something other than
Bloody Mary's. Granted I grow Sauvignon Blanc in Sonoma
but as I explained to someone recently the reason I grow
it, is because I like it so much.
Other suggestions made by previous posters were excellent
advice.

Bookmark   June 16, 2002 at 12:52AM
lindac

If I had to pick a varietal that over the boards is a favroite...sauvignon blanc would be it!
There are French Chablis' that I love, and Pinot Grigios, and the German wines....
But over all....Sauvignon Blanc!
For my lady friends who say..."just a little white wine for me"...( and proceed to drink the bottle before dinner!LOL!) I keep a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc in the refrig. I am often asked..."what kind of chablis is this?" LOL!
Linda C

Bookmark   June 18, 2002 at 6:49PM
ann_t

I love all the wines that Linda has mentioned but I don't think I would ever mistake a Sauvignon Blanc for a French Chablis, one being a White Burgundy and the other a white Bordeaux. I have found that because Sauvignon Blancs come in many styles you have to be careful when you are serving them to people who prefer a more subtle flavoured wine. Many of the Sauvignon Blancs have a very grassy, or as some people describe it, asparagus or green flavour that is very pronounced. Fortunately I like this type. Some are oak aged and some have more fruit in the flavour which seems to appeal to many who are not really into the stronger flavoured wines. Something to remember though that if you are looking for a sweet wine as the original poster was, Sauvignon Blancs are not sweet and in fact can be bone dry.

Ann.

Bookmark   June 18, 2002 at 7:25PM
lindac

Ann, my point was....to some all white wines are chablis.....and occasionally chardonnay.
BTW....my toy poodle is named Chablis....I call her Chabby.
Linda C

Bookmark   June 19, 2002 at 1:40PM
ann_t

Linda,

I love your babys name "Chardonnay". I had actually thought of naming our two Himalayan cats, Chardonnay and Cabernet.

Ann.

Bookmark   June 19, 2002 at 3:44PM
More Discussions
coffee good or bad?
There seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding coffee....
Adams07
Coke vs. Pepsi
Why do some many people like Coke and Diet Coke? Pepsi...
Kelli
Light Coffee Creamer Out Over Night
Hey guys, so I normally stick to the garden forums,...
Dacocoa
Green Smoothies Question
Has anyone utilizing daily green smoothies noticed...
pink_warm_mama_1
Mirro Matic 16 quart pressure Canner
I have lost my manual for it. It was probably made...
jka1941
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™