cleaning glass tiles in shower

susyqwolfJanuary 7, 2011

I have a new shower surrounded by glass tiles. What products should I use to clean the soap scum and water spots on my glass tiles? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cat_mom

We have a glass tile backsplash in our kitchen. I don't baby it (my backsplash over the range sometimes needs a thorough cleaning after using the oven esp after roasting using the convection fan or cooking at high temps, and I've thrown everything from BKF, to Dawn Power Dissolver, to OxyClean, etc., at it to clean the residual grease and discoloration, and the tile looks pretty much brand new). Outside of avoiding cleansers that might scratch the tile itself, or anything that might degrade the grout (Bill V. has said to avoid bleach or bleach-containing products because they will do something to the grout or sealer, or both--I forget!), I've used different products and the tile is fine--no scratches, no cloudiness, no etching.

I would think you could use most bathroom cleaners safely (when in doubt, always test on leftover tile or in an inconspicuous spot on your wall). Glass tile isn't porous (or as porous) as other types of tile (no need to seal glass tile, I've been told), so should be ok with whatever product(s) you use to clean your shower floor and sink.

Bookmark   January 9, 2011 at 10:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Avanti Tile & Stone (Stonetech)

Try to use only liquid soap or possibly Dove. Almost all bar soap contains animal fat as a filler/binder and that causes most of the scum. Also, towell off the shower whenever you can. Do these things and it will greatly reduce the cleaning chore.

Bookmark   January 9, 2011 at 12:38PM
More Discussions
wall mounted sink with hidden pipes?
Hi all, Would like a small-ish wall mounted sink, but...
randyelipson
Date on thinset
Someone mentioned they would help homeowners decode...
mmaggied
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
Layout help
Hello, I wanted to ask for feedback on my planned layout...
caligirl5
Shower door for neo-angle
If you have a neo-angle shower where the tiled walls...
cataan
Sponsored Products
Koi Pond Shower Curtain
$79.99 | Dot & Bo
Sample-Loft Adriatic Mist Frosted 2x8 Glass Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Sunbrella Quilted Hammock, Patio Furniture
$399.00 | FRONTGATE
Polished Chrome Whitehaus 614.868SH Blairhaus Bathroom Shower Head & Valve
$369.00 | Blue Bath
Built-in Thermostatic Mixer for Shower
TheBathOutlet