Dyeing black hair to a brown shade

esha_2010April 5, 2010

I have black hair (natural) and really want to get a brown color(without the reddish tint) without bleaching. I was thinking of using an dark ash blonde or light ash brown dye. Which one has a better chance of lightening my hair to a dark or medium brown color ? I was also wondering whether Revlon or Garnier would be a better choice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chinacat_sunflower

how light a brown? without lifting your own color (which will oxidize it, which will leave you with red undertones forever) the best you're likely to get is an espresso brown, with the darkest possible ash brown - anything else? I would leave to a professional colorist.

if you're determined to use box dyes - you might want to try a glaze instead of a full coloring?

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 6:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eccentric

Then I first read this I assumed that you are of a "certain age" - that point in time when black hair becomes too stark - even if natural. The model, Dayle Haddon, had black hair and when she reached her late 50s early 60s had it coloured a dark brunette, to take the edge off. My friend recently did the same thing. But they both had it done professionally - and kept it dark. I wouldn't even think of doing it myself. My friend and I both recently started using a different mascara - it is brown - but brown with a black base. Doesn't look as harsh but still is darker than brown which really doesn't suit either of us.

Bookmark   April 13, 2010 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
Regular down vs. ultra lite down
Help, I live in the south where down is not part of...
scpalmetto
Facial Hair from upper lip
Hi All upper lip I have an embrassing problem with...
Angel1977
Laser Hair Removal
My annual bonus this year will fund something I've...
mary_md7
Lifestyle lift, yeah or nay?
I am concerned with sagging and turkey neck. LL looks...
bossyvossy
HOW much for a cut and highlight?
I normally post on the quilting and diet club boards,...
miscindy
Sponsored Products
Honeycomb Giclee Glow 16" Wide Bronze Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
TropiShade 9-foot Blue Umbrella Shade
Overstock.com
Sonneman | Glass Pendants Oval Pendant Light
$260.00 | YLighting
Copper Shade Floor - Tom Dixon
$750.00 | HORNE
Centra 60" Single Bathroom Vanity Set for Vessel Sink by Wyndham Collection - Gr
Modern Bathroom
Neptune Suspension
Lightology
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™