Dyeing black hair to a brown shade

esha_2010April 5, 2010

I have black hair (natural) and really want to get a brown color(without the reddish tint) without bleaching. I was thinking of using an dark ash blonde or light ash brown dye. Which one has a better chance of lightening my hair to a dark or medium brown color ? I was also wondering whether Revlon or Garnier would be a better choice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chinacat_sunflower

how light a brown? without lifting your own color (which will oxidize it, which will leave you with red undertones forever) the best you're likely to get is an espresso brown, with the darkest possible ash brown - anything else? I would leave to a professional colorist.

if you're determined to use box dyes - you might want to try a glaze instead of a full coloring?

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 6:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eccentric

Then I first read this I assumed that you are of a "certain age" - that point in time when black hair becomes too stark - even if natural. The model, Dayle Haddon, had black hair and when she reached her late 50s early 60s had it coloured a dark brunette, to take the edge off. My friend recently did the same thing. But they both had it done professionally - and kept it dark. I wouldn't even think of doing it myself. My friend and I both recently started using a different mascara - it is brown - but brown with a black base. Doesn't look as harsh but still is darker than brown which really doesn't suit either of us.

Bookmark   April 13, 2010 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
Skimmer shoes....socks, knee-his, or bare feet?
I know it's a weird question...but ...I hate wearing...
marc_ia
Revlon Mechanical Eyebrow Pencil Refill
I have used the Revlon Mechanical Eyebrow Pencil and...
MrsJrs
Help settle bet--free shampoo. & style on the line
My stylist swears hair is alive and I contend hair...
bossyvossy
Help with dry frizzy hair
I have very dry hair. It's very fine and straight,...
Twinkle
Eyeliner that will not smear? Have oily skin
Is there any other poster that has oily eye lids? I...
colorcrazy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™