Is 'Collecting' a Compulsion?

fouquieriaJuly 1, 2010

I'm retired now, but ever since I was a kid, I've been a collector of some sort. At first it was bugs and butterflies, then stamps and coins. Now it's animalier (carved/cast decorative animals), ashtrays, lamps, and things in the garden...aloes, euphorbias, cycads. If I really sat down and made a list of things I've collected over the years, even I would probably be surprised.

I'll post some of my "collections" later in the week, but in the meantime, what do you collect?

-Ron-

Here is a link that might be useful: My Yard:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
antiquesilver

Your yard is amazing - actually, beyond amazing! I'll have to think about what I collect - I'm still stunned from your dazzling gardens.

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 3:02PM
patty_cakes

Ron, you have an awesome 'collection' of succulents and the hardscape is gorgeous~looks like you put in a lot of hard work in that god-awful soil! I'm from San Diego, now Austin TX coming up on 2 years. We have clay(Caliche)also, but not near as bad as the 'concrete' in SD. Keep up the great garden work! ;o)

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 12:46AM
jemdandy

I can't believe that all thst stuff is in one yard, but then, maybe you have a big yard. Beautiful gardening and landscaping. Photos are good too. You have more variety than a lot of parks do.

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 11:12AM
fouquieria

Thank you jemdandy, patty_cakes, and antiquesilver for your generous comments.

So as a follow up, here are some of the things I've been collecting over the years--

Here are bronze tigers from the Meiji era on the dinning room table. I also have a lion downstairs. In the upstairs bathroom is a Meiji era carved lion, lioness, & two cubs. Also in the dinning room I have a 6-foot tall carved giraffe and a large carved rhinoceros. The entrance to the front door has two carved elephants and then just inside the house are two more which are four feet tall!

Bookmark   July 3, 2010 at 3:47PM
More Discussions
Early Masons Vista Pink Soup Tureen
Hello! I have inherited a great deal of Masons vista...
aeb78
Can anyone identify this nightstand?
This nightstand was my grandmas and was given to me...
Michael Potter
Need history of "Lister Woodcraft"
Trying to determine if this wooden candlestick is really...
bradleyd_svh
Mystery Lamp Company
Hello. I am trying to find out information about the...
debragcar
Vase no marks new or old ?
I have this vase with no mark at bottom, it's real...
Dones
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™