Please help with info on baby cradle

nutmegerJuly 9, 2014

Hello
I am unsure if this baby cradle is old, or Amish? Or maybe both? The dovetailing is really neat. If anyone has any insight or additional info please let me know. It measures 41â³ long x 21.5â³ tall and the rockers are 26.5â³ wide.
Thanks!
-- Pauline

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chibimimi

My first impression is that the cradle is not very old. The color is too pale, the thinness of the stock it's made from seems modern (how thick is it? 3/4 inch?), and most early craftsmen would have avoided the large knot on the side panel.

The plans for cradles like these have been available for a long time, so it's possible it was made by a home woodworker.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 8:29PM
sheilajoyce_gw

I am curious about the nail heads. They look square, and that could be an indication of old nails.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 5:01PM
lazy_gardens

You can buy square-headed nails today ... that looks like one of the many "make a cradle" plans I've seen.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 9:25AM
sam_md

hi nutmeger,
take a look at this hooded cradle kit from Bartley's. Hard to believe the kit sells for $599, notice the construction details.
Your cradle has well-made dovetails which is difficult to do with angled sides. It looks like your cradle was painted and stripped, maybe bottom replaced. I think that you have an old cradle. BTW in my area I don't see any association with Amish and antique furniture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bartley's cradle kit

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 5:22PM
More Discussions
Mystery Lamp Company
Hello. I am trying to find out information about the...
debragcar
Early Masons Vista Pink Soup Tureen
Hello! I have inherited a great deal of Masons vista...
aeb78
Japanese Vase
I just got this vase at street sale would like to know...
Dones
Why isn't furniture selling?
I've been trying to sell this 45" diameter vintage...
debodun
Vase no marks new or old ?
I have this vase with no mark at bottom, it's real...
Dones
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™