type of grill to use or not use!

rustyj14December 26, 2004

I'd like to post a warning to some of the newer campers, about what to use over the fire, when cooking!

In one of the posts, i read where the person was going to use the grille out of an old refrigerator!

Unless you can verify what that grill is coated with, i'd say don't use it!

Some of the older grilles are coated with a galvanised material, which will leach out dangerous stuff into your cooking!

Also, when attending an outdoor pig, chicken, cow, deer roast, or any place where the people are cooking meat or any other stuff over an open fire, make sure they aren't using galvanized chicken wire! They should be using stainless wire to hold the meat on the spit! Galvanised material will do serious things to yer insides!

Best bet is to go to the local store that sells everything, and buy a new steel grille that is the type used in gas grills! They don't cost much and are much safer for cooking! Or, watch fer yer neighbor throwing out his old propane gas grill, and snatch the top grille out of it! Or make one to the size you need,get some steel rod, and weld it together to make a grille.

by: Rustyj

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Many grills are coated with galvanized metal....
The problem is not the zinc leaching into your food but perhaps vaporizing into the air....
They are still being sold....so I guess the jury is still out.
Linda C

Bookmark   January 1, 2005 at 8:59PM
kframe19

Old refrigerator grills often contained, IIRC, cadmium as part of the plating metal. Not a problem in a fridge, but if you heat it up, it starts to liberate. Cadmium is not good for the soul.

Grills sold specifically for campfire cooking don't have this problem.

Bookmark   March 26, 2005 at 12:06PM
sheshebop

I owned a welding shop so I had to know quite a bit about this. It's the vapors from galvanized metal that is toxic. Although galvanized is not the best thing to use, food-grade stainless is, sitting on galvanized won't hurt you. Only when the heat is so high the it vaporizes, as in welding, would it be a problem.

Bookmark   May 2, 2005 at 3:19PM
More Discussions
Cooking ribs on a gas grill ??
I posted this on the cooking forum, then realized there's...
cookingrvc
What are your most useful appliances in outdoor kitchen
We are in the design stages for our outdoor grilling...
squwhat
how to remove paint stain from stainless steel bbq?
someone spilled what appears to be stain or paint on...
wantboost
Stereo for BBQ Island
Hello - Anyone have an outdoor stereo installed in...
wardman
Ignighter problem with Weber or Dukane Gas Grill
Ignitor Problem with Weber or Dukane Grill- I have...
etbrown4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™