Tile to Carpet Transition?

pricklypearcactusJanuary 6, 2011

What is the best way to transition from tile to carpet in each of these cases: where the carpet is higher than the tile, where the tile is higher than the carpet? I have mostly completed a bathroom remodel where hall carpet is slightly higher than the tile. For now, I've just allowed the carpet to hang slightly over the tile because I have been uncertain how to complete the transition. I will soon be starting tile work in my laundry room where the tile will end up being higher than the carpet in the doorway where they transition.

I would appreciate instructions, pictures, links to instructions or pictures, or even product suggestions. The work is all DIY, so I really appreciate any assistance. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wi-sailorgirl

I think in either case I'd put in a solid threshold ... marble or other material. There are pre-made ones that accommodate different levels of flooring.

Bookmark   January 6, 2011 at 1:25PM
pricklypearcactus

Thank you for the suggestion, wi-sailorgirl. How exactly does the carpet connect to the threshold?

Bookmark   January 6, 2011 at 3:24PM
wi-sailorgirl

Gosh, I have no idea! Never even thought about that, to be honest. I hope someone knows the answer.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you'd cut the carpeting away there, attach the threshold to the subfloor, and put down new carpet tack strips around it, but I'm totally guessing.

Bookmark   January 6, 2011 at 3:57PM
bill_vincent

It doesn't. You run a tack strip in front of the installed threshold, and stretch the carpet to the tack strip.

Another possibility would be to "turn" or "tuck" and tack it (basically making a "sideways hem") right to the edge of the tile. One other way would be to use an "insert" strip. It's a channel strip with a tack edge that you stretch the carpet to, and then there's a vinyl "T" shaped insert that pops into the channel, and caps over the edges of the carpet and tile. ANY of those will work, as well as using a wood threshold instead of marble.

My preference, though, would be for the marble threshold. But I'm kinda biased. :-)

Bookmark   January 6, 2011 at 5:06PM
pricklypearcactus

I found this (John Bridge) tutorial which sounds very similar to the "tuck" method you describe. Is it?

While I love marble and wood thresholds in many applications, I'm not certain if it will work for me. But I'm willing to investigate. Also, can you tell me where I might find these "insert" strips to look into? Essentially I'm hoping to find something that bridges the two materials and prevents people from tripping or the carpet from fraying.

Thank you for the expert advice.

Bookmark   January 6, 2011 at 5:56PM
bill_vincent

This is the insert, installed:

You can get it at any carpet showroom, and most likely at Lowes or Home Depot's flooring departments.

Bookmark   January 6, 2011 at 7:08PM
pricklypearcactus

That looks perfect. Thank you for the picture and the suggested sources. I'll check out Home Depot or Lowes on my next trip there. If I don't find one, I'll start looking up local carpet showrooms. I really appreciate all of the time and knowledge you share with us on this site, Bill. Thanks!

Bookmark   January 7, 2011 at 10:26AM
More Discussions
Polished vs Unpolished tile for bath
We are redoing our master bath with a grey 12x24 porcelain...
btnik
Master Bath Reveal - Small space, big style
We don't have the bathroom shade installed yet, but...
piscesgirl
Toilets, anyone?
Ten years ago we put in the Toto Ultramax after reading...
anniel58
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
Finishing touches – Towel Ring location, need opinions
Hello. My bathroom is starting to come together and...
mrsshayne
Sponsored Products
Thomas O'Brien Allium Hand Knotted Area Rug
FRONTGATE
Karastan Bellingham Kulshan Rug Multicolor - 37150 17220 029144
$199.00 | Hayneedle
Accent Rug: Brindisi Dark Brown 2' x 3'
$40.49 | Home Depot
House of Troy Greensboro Bronze Torch Wall Lamp
Lamps Plus
Hinder Giclee Apothecary Clear Glass Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus