Pulled Pork BBQ the Easy Way

earlOctober 23, 2003

I posted this in Recipe Exchange. Thought I'd post it here for comments.

Pulled Pork BBQ the Easy Way

Pork shoulder or Boston butt [6-8-10 lbs]

LawryÂs salt

Bullet smoker

Single burner hotplate

old thick bottomed pot

Hardwood sawdust, soaked in water

Remove everything except the top grill from the smoker, set smoker over hotplate with pan of sawdust on burner, put a pork shoulder/picnic roast seasoned with LawryÂs on the grill, put top on smoker. Turn on hotplate, high setting. Smoke for 3 or 4 hours. You make have to open smoker door and replenish sawdust 3 or 4 times. Remove pork from smoker and wrap in heavy duty tinfoil, sealing it good. Put in large pan and into the kitchen over at 250 degrees for 7 to 8 hours. When done remove all fat from pork, pull meat apart into bite size pieces with 2 big forks [with 4 prongs].

Put in bowl, add favorite BBQ sauce. What is not eaten after a couple days, bag up in sandwich baggies, enough for one sandwich, pushing all the air out and twisting baggie to close. Put all the little bags in a gallon zip loc and freeze. BBQ on demand in 5 minutes. Just defrost/heat in microwave and slap on a bun, add some more sauce. I like to put the bun [filled with meat] in a fry pan and heat both sides, mashing the bun down flat.

Earl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
little_rhody

Earl,

What kind of smoker do you have? I'm in the market for one. Any recommendations?

carolyn

Bookmark   October 26, 2003 at 11:35PM
earl

I use a Brinkman's bullet water smoker. Not expensive, but it gets the job done.

Bookmark   November 2, 2003 at 10:37PM
jono123

I use the Cooks' Illustrated way at a higher temp and have also had great results so far (3 butts, each time gets better).

I do not like posting their recipies since they are not really free but if you do a search, maybe you will find it.

The basic differences are that I use a gas grill with lots of smoke chips and try to keep it smoking for about 2 hours at around 275. Then I wrape the meat in foil and into the over at 350 for 2 hours or until it reaches target temp. The meat then it rests for 45-60min.

The result is meat that falls apart just like it should, very succulent and tender. It has a nice bark (from the rub and smoke) and a smoke ring. It is good though a real smoker would probably be even better.

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 4:51AM
More Discussions
Ceramic vs Gas - is it practical?
I will be installing a new grill this summer in an...
Lucky_Rugger
what equipment should be bring in Barbecue
I'm going to and my friends crazy once before back...
junho
Natural gas line connection to grill
I want to get a natural gas grill, and this is what...
Rakster
Stereo for BBQ Island
Hello - Anyone have an outdoor stereo installed in...
wardman
How long one can use Grill (Life time)
Hi, My previous owner left us Grand Turbo grill by...
ritholtz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™