What style would you call this table

javaandjazzJuly 14, 2013

The dealer advertised this as an 1840 English table. Made from solid mahogany. What is your opinion? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chibimimi

It's very, very hard to tell from the photograph and without seeing the underside, but yes, that style is consistent with 1840-1860 "early Victorian." Be aware that this style has been reproduced, so make sure it is genuinely old.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 10:26AM
javaandjazz

If you take the top off, you can see the wood better and there are several holes in the top support which leads me to believe the marble may be a second top, although the marble seems very old. I'll get some more pictures. Thanks!

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 10:41AM
javaandjazz

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 11:02AM
chibimimi

Well, the internal structure looks right for the age given. And yes, the top is probably a replacement. The shape of the edge looks too simple and modern. The original top was probably wood and suffered damage, so it was replaced at some time with marble. I'm not sure I see the holes you mentioned; where are they on the upper edge? How large are they?

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 9:49PM
lazy_gardens

I'd go for 1840s-60s mahogany base with replacement top. You can see where the original nails for the old top went.

Or a nicely done reproduction from one of the high-end furniture makers in the 1940s-1960s ... with a modern replacement marble top.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 10:57AM
More Discussions
Need help identifying blue bowl
Does anyone recognize this maker's mark? It is on the...
SFQ54
Japanese Vase
I just got this vase at street sale would like to know...
Dones
Vase no marks new or old ?
I have this vase with no mark at bottom, it's real...
Dones
help identifying antique table
I found this table at an estate sale for 45 dollars....
moya0311
Wanted: Blue Bonnet Margarine Vintage Dolls
I've been collecting the Blue Bonnet Margarine promotional...
beckame
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™