Baby wipes to remove make up?

arkansas_girlMarch 16, 2007

I was reading a post about beauty tips and several people said they liked baby wipes to remove their make-up but noone said which ones were good. I know there are sooooo many different ones out and they are all different I'd like to know if there's a certain one that's best. A while back I tried one but wasn't too impressed so I figure I got the wrong thing. They also said they will remove stains from fabrics too. Any favorites? I'm currently using a makeup remover cloth that works pretty good.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beautygirl

I would use a brand that is unscented. Also a name brand, like Pampers because they are thicker and more cloth like than cheap store brands or off brands.

Bookmark   March 17, 2007 at 9:12AM
bud_wi

Some have mineral oil in them which helps cut mascara, but mineral oil is not a good thing for your complexion, to smear all over your face.

Bookmark   March 18, 2007 at 9:45AM
arkansas_girl

Mineral oil?...that makes sense why some remove make-up, I didn't think about that, I'm allergic to mineral oil! I better check the ingredients first! Thanks!

Bookmark   March 18, 2007 at 12:36PM
organicboat

Most of them will also contain Propylene Glycol, a harmful chemical that is used in anti-freeze solutions, hydraulic fluids, and as a solvent. They are harmful by skin absorption but still widely used as they are cheap and they do the job, and they're allowed! Not to mention other chemicals like paraben!

Bookmark   March 19, 2007 at 6:38AM
centralcacyclist

They are better than not removing your makeup at night before you go to sleep. Okay to use in an emergency if you are exhausted, perhaps. If so, I'd still take a cotton pad and some toner and go over my face and apply moisturizer afterward. Or even rinse the baby wipe out in warm water and wipe my face again to remove the residue.

Bookmark   March 20, 2007 at 2:55PM
socks

Why not use a product made for this purpose? I think Ponds, Neutrogena and maybe even Oil of Olay make disposable wipes for this purpose. Are baby wipes cheaper?

Bookmark   March 20, 2007 at 7:26PM
bud_wi

Yes, cheaper. And larger.

Bookmark   March 21, 2007 at 4:20AM
debd18

When my kids were babies, the pediatrician told me not to use baby wipes on them because they are too irritating to the skin. He told me to carry wet paper towels in a plastic container instead, so I certainly wouldn't wash my face with them.

Bookmark   March 21, 2007 at 9:36AM
wildchild

Huggies makes a new "green tea and cucumber" wipe that is nice and works well.

Bookmark   March 21, 2007 at 9:58PM
bud_wi

Isn't that only a "green tea and cucumber" scent?? Not the real stuff?

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 1:49AM
coolmama

I used to do this and it started breaking my face out.I think avoid any with alcohol.

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 3:34AM
wildchild

Most cosmetic stuff isn't "real" Bud.LOL But the stuff smells and feels pleasant on the skin.

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 9:37AM
organicboat

Do you know that a single ingredient like frangance can be made up of hundreds of different chemicals in itself? It may cause headaches, dizziness, rash, skin pigmentation and irritation, etc. But we won't normally associate these problems with the daily products that we use...

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 10:13AM
Gina_W

I use these to clean my dog - they are so convenient to have in the car, etc. But I can't imagine they'd be any good for removing makeup - they are very mild and hardly have any cleanser in them. Basically they are just wet towels!

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 12:01PM
bud_wi

Posted by wildchild: Most cosmetic stuff isn't "real" Bud. LOL But the stuff smells and feels pleasant on the skin.
++++

Yes, you are correct. Most front lables that say "cucumber" or "lemon" or "lavander" or "coconaut" are not the real stuff. But some are, and those are the ones you want to buy.

Check lables. Look on the back lable at the ingredients.

Lots of products do have real cucumber in them:

http://www.healthfoodemporium.com/prod_page.php?id=128

Best though is to make your own and keep it in the fridge. Google *cucumber facials* for lots of recipes. Cucumber has always been known for its restorative properties to skin.

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 12:25AM
Terrapots

We have found that the best face cleaner-makeup remover is witch hazel on a circular facial pad. It's a good toner, cleaner, pore minimizer and helps shrink skin tags for those that have that problem. Baby wipes may be handy and cheap but why risk breakouts or allergies?

Bookmark   March 28, 2007 at 1:06AM
playsinthedirt20

Yes, the baby wipes are cheaper. And they made my skin break out. I like the Ponds wipes. But I basically use them as a first step in removing stage or film makeup. Then I steam my face for a minute (or splash with hot water 30 times) and wash with Murad Clarifying Cleanser. Then I use 70% isopropyl alcohol as a cheap astringent which works for me, but may be too harsh for many people. Then I apply my treatment products. Yeah, it takes time and effort, but the results are worthwhile.

Bookmark   June 5, 2007 at 3:25AM
deefay7

I have been using baby wipes for years to remove make up, and refresh my face in the morning.I like White Cloud lightly scented best, it has a pleasant smell like vanilla after it dries.Some of the unscented kinds really stink! I will use any brand however, and have never had a problem. I figure if it is gentle enough for a baby's tooshy, it is gentle enough for face as well.

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 7:38PM
More Discussions
What to Wear with Dresses in the Winter
I notice the women on the morning shows all wear short...
blueheron
You are over 60 with fine, thin, straight hair
that won't take a perm. How do you wear your hair?
pauline13
twisted silver chain
When I was in Poland a friend gave me a silver chain...
bleusblue
where Cathy Daniels clothing sold...?
I have a hard time getting clothes to fit well &...
vieja_gw
Wigs
I have decided to purchase a couple Paula Young wigs,...
lucillle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™