Need a new haircut....where do you get ideas from

tresbelle3March 23, 2003

When you feel like a new style, where do you all get your ideas from?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ponderinstuff

Hi Cremin,

There are magazines for hairstyles that are a good place to start. I also like catalogs, you'll find a lot of realistic pictures there.

Sometimes the stars have extensions and your seeing their best, so they might look a little different than my hair and yours.

Try and find pictures that resemble your hair. Meaning is it thick,fine,straight,thin, etc. Also, different colors will make a syle look different.

Have fun with your new do! Find a sylist that is current in trends if you want trendy.

Bookmark   March 23, 2003 at 12:48PM
Sunny3

If I see a great hairstyle in a magazine (US magazine has a lot of good ones), I will cut it out and keep it in a folder for later. Most of the time if I don't bring a picture to the hairdresser, she doesn't understand how I want my hair. (Of course, even if I do bring a pic they don't always do a great job, but at least they have an idea.)

Bookmark   March 28, 2003 at 9:16PM
whazzup

I get my ideas from the person who cuts my hair. He knows that some styles just won't work with my hair type or face shape. If you find a good hairdresser, they are full of great ideas.

Bookmark   April 4, 2003 at 7:11PM
jannie

I cut a picture of Meg Ryan out of magazine, told the hairdresser I want my hair cut like that, she insisted she couldn't do it, I had to have a body wave first. I had the perm and cut done, but my hair was badly damaged. It formed knots every night,it hurt to brush or comb my hair. I went elsewhere, had my damaged hair treated with a restructuring treatment, then cut short and straight. I still carry the picture of Meg, but I'll never have hair like hers. Sigh. . .

Bookmark   September 30, 2005 at 11:58AM
maymo

The best tips I've ever heard about chosing hairstyles are 1). When you find a pic of a cut you like, cover the face and look at the hairstyle AGAIN. Many times, you will be surprised that you don't like it as much! 2). Pull your hair back completely off your face and look in a mirror. Use lipstick or an eye pencil and trace the shape of your face right on the mirror! Try to find a style that fits YOUR face shape. Those are the styles that will truly look the best on YOU. If you find a pic, trace the shape of the face and see if it matches your face shape.

Bookmark   October 7, 2005 at 10:13PM
centralcacyclist

Try this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Searchable hairdo database

Bookmark   October 8, 2005 at 8:36PM
Orso_bianco

Stay away from an oversprayed hairdo. that looks like cement. Chin length is good.

Bookmark   October 24, 2005 at 11:23PM
Helen317

Barnmom, thanks for the great link. I printed out a style I liked and took the picture to my hairdresser today. I am so happy with my new style/cut!

Helen

Bookmark   October 28, 2005 at 10:04PM
lawmar

You know those hair do's where the hair kind of poofs up on the top and the back, but is actually straight? Like a Heather Locklear look, I guess. How do they do that? Do they rat it, or do you get that look with mousse? I have long hair, past my shoulders and it is pretty thick and just hangs straight down. I want to get that "poofy look". How do I do that?

Bookmark   November 9, 2005 at 9:33AM
joann23456

Lots of back-combing and "product"!

Bookmark   November 12, 2005 at 10:12PM
krystyna4

Re: those puffy hairdoos probably start with
a razor cut or "texturized" as the pros say...
then lots of artfull blowdrying with lots of expensive
product.

I have straight hair and one hairdresser
actually really thinned out the back crown area so
I would get the lift... then you can put some mousse
or what have you on the roots in the crown area and
you will get some help in that area. Cool trick.

Re: new "do"...

When I need a new idea, I try to pick a
very young stylist ! Maybe they don't give
me THE idea, but they do something different
enough to get me thinking.

Other than that, I have gone to a well-seasoned big
city hairdresser to bring me up-to-date when my style
was getting "old." They introduced me to texturizing.

ciao
/k

Bookmark   January 15, 2006 at 4:44PM
More Discussions
Revlon Mechanical Eyebrow Pencil Refill
I have used the Revlon Mechanical Eyebrow Pencil and...
MrsJrs
Facial Hair from upper lip
Hi All upper lip I have an embrassing problem with...
Angel1977
testing
Spirea reverting.
catkin
Eyeliner that will not smear? Have oily skin
Is there any other poster that has oily eye lids? I...
colorcrazy
Help with dry frizzy hair
I have very dry hair. It's very fine and straight,...
Twinkle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™