Hair Coloring Questions..Need Advice

lydia1959March 15, 2003

A couple weeks ago I colored my dishwater blonde hair a lighter blonde. First time in my 40+ years I've ever colored my hair. It's just a shade lighter than what it was, most people haven't even noticed it. Anyway ~ DD claims my hair is orange and I agree that in the right light it does have an orange tint. So..here's my questions ~ can I completely recolor my hair the same color to lighten it up more? Would that take out the orange or make it worse? How long do I need to wait before recoloring?

I used Nutrisse Garnier in Champagne Fizz. This brand left my hair really soft and managable, so I'd like to continue using it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Lightening can leave the reddish pigments untouched, which mekes them more visible. Also, with some people's hair, "golden" blonde turns visibly reddish.

Perhaps using an "ash" shade that is a bit lighter then your original "dishwater" would work better.

Bookmark   March 16, 2003 at 8:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ponderinstuff

Hi Lydia,

Please don't try and fix your hair before contacting the hotline for the product you used. They may be able to help you through your dilema. It is very normal to get the results you have on your level(color) of hair. If you put the same color on it it MAY pull a little bit more of the orange out, or it may make it worse.

I have seen very few home blondes that look natural. Unless you look good in very warm tones I would avoid it, or color and get weaves over the color for dimension. In my opinion it is best to leave blondes to the pros unless you are naturally very blonde to begin with.

If you are trying to cover gray, and using a permanant haircolor try to stay within a shade or two of your natural haircolor, rather than trying to be a light blonde. Your results will look more natural that way.

The problem most people have when they color their own hair, blonde in particular; is that the natural hair pigment of your level is a red or red/orange, and that is why you get an orange or brassy look. As the permanant color lifts it exposes those underlying pigments.

Another option if it isn't too orange: Have some foil highlights added, a bleach will cut through the orange. If the other color isn't going to look good with your current color a semi color can be added inbetween the foils to tone the orange down. A hairdresser would have to use foil or comparable weave technique to do the latter, not use a cap.

Hope that helps, I'll check back and see how it's going.

Bookmark   March 17, 2003 at 7:47PM
More Discussions
twisted silver chain
When I was in Poland a friend gave me a silver chain...
bleusblue
testing
Spirea reverting.
catkin
Skin Health Maintenance
Hi, I am 30 and need advice on my skin care/skin health...
alexander123
dry scalp
I'm having a problem with my scalp. It seems so dry...
brownthumbia
Eyeliner that will not smear? Have oily skin
Is there any other poster that has oily eye lids? I...
colorcrazy
Sponsored Products
Personalized Oval Cutting Board with Name or Phrase - 24"
$195.00 | FRONTGATE
Saatchi Chrome One Light Pendant Light
$156.00 | Bellacor
Carolina Panthers Garden Flag
$8.99 | zulily
Americh Bermuda III Tub (59" x 59" x 23")
Modern Bathroom
Ether 90 S Chandelier by Leucos Lighting
$4,967.55 | Lumens
Americh Chios 7236 Tub (72" x 36" x 22")
Modern Bathroom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™