Hand Carved Headboard Mystery??

kjbray5July 24, 2012

We just picked up this amazing headboard at a garage sale for $30. The owner wasn't able to tell us anything about it so we are very curious about it's history. There are no markings on the piece, and the rest of the bed is missing. It is very heavy and appears to be all hand carved. The flower detail in the middle of the headboard spins. Does anyone have any information as to how old it could be and possibly where it originated from? Thanks for the help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

It's the headboard from a Victorian bed....dating about 1880....likely walnut...but perhaps it was "cottage furniture" and simply stained to look like walnut.
Either way it will be wonderful stripped and re stained.
What a shame that someone painted it and lost the rest of it.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 10:00AM
calliope

The legs have also been cut from this part of the unit. Notice how low the slots are to accomodate frame. It would put the mattress practically on the floor.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 11:44AM
patty_cakes

Linda, doesn't the detail look more French than Victorian? The reason I'm asking is because I've been restaining what is supposedly an old French Buffet I purchased at a very reliable auction house and it has the exact "French pediment" detailing, and was auctioned off as French. My buffet is a dark stained oak. Possibility/no possibility?

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 8:05AM
lindac

That design is so typically American Victorian....I really don't think so.
As for your buffet.....remember an auctioneer will say mostly anything to sell an item. There are certain buzz words that get repeated over and over....words like "French pediment" "barley twist" "Capo di monte" "Nippon" and "Sheffield".
My guess is that your buffet had a pediment that was called "French pediment"....and it just went on from there.
also your bed probably had some sort of finial on those square posts on either side of the carved pediment.

You sure your buffet is oak not walnut?....And that pediment style was not restricted to Americans, the French used it too....but not typically. However black walnut furniture is pretty much an American thing.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 10:16AM
cslambert

Beautiful headboard. I have found headboards in the past that were missing the rails and the foot-board and made them into benches. This one has good potential for that if done correctly. Just a thought :-)

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 2:43PM
More Discussions
Straw in dining chair cushions-- does this indicate a date?
Hi friends, I just bought a lovely antique dining table...
avaeia
Rosenthal China Pattern?
I stumbled upon this fine china bowl by Rosenthal,...
lana_roma
Ideas about this vase/bottle?
Hello! I recently discovered this great forum and am...
party_music50
Age of this brass "hog scraper" candle holder?
Any idea on the age of this brass "hog scraper"...
bradleyd_svh
Help with age and materials of chair
I just purchased this chair, used, with the idea of...
mikejillnelson
Sponsored Products
Lulu Planter
Grandin Road
9'x12' Serapi Heriz 100% Wool Medallion Design Hand Knotted Oriental Rug Sh20268
1800 Get A Rug
Art Virtuoso Stained Glass Indigo P9187D-05560 Framed Art Print
Beyond Stores
Arteriors Home - Baker Table Lamp - 46982-873
Great Furniture Deal
Safavieh Hand-hooked Chelsea Ivory/ Black Wool Rug (2'6 x 8')
Overstock.com
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kaleen Rugs Home and Porch Cedar Hammock Brown
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™