outdoor cooker by viro

allen1125August 13, 2002

DOES ANYBODY HAVE AN OUTDOOR TURKEY/LOBSTER COOKER FROM COSTCO?THE COOKER IS MADE BY VIRO,THE BTU IS 110000.IT COST $79.99.IS IT WORTH THE MONEY ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bsbbq

Are you sure about the BTU's? It sounds like a blowtorch!

Bookmark   August 13, 2002 at 9:40PM
spambdamn_rich

I've seen that one, I think it's made by Virco.

Generally speaking, those big turkey fryers scare me. I wonder what happens when someone accidentally knocks over a top heavy contraption full of boiling oil. Plus the oil is not cheap, and it gets rancid in storage, and fried foods are not that healthy to begin with. Oh well. The Virco fryer looks like it's good quality, though, if that's what you want.

Bookmark   August 14, 2002 at 2:36AM
tmfu

My understanding is that the Oil can indeed be re-used, you just strain it good before storage.

I suspect that a turkey cooked in oil is every bit as healthy as one that might be cooked on a grill. One in a oven might somehow be slightly more healthy, but I'm not even sure that's true.

Deep frying a turkey is almost certianly the quickest and possibly the easiest way to cook a turkey.

I still prefer smoking my turkeys however... not all that healthy but it sure does taste great.

Bookmark   August 14, 2002 at 11:09AM
spambdamn_rich

One heated, a liquid vegetable oil will start to oxidize and turn rancid quicker. If strained and stored, it should be kept refrigerated. This might be impractical if the amounts of oil are large. I would think a turkey fryer would work best for a very large family or restaurant that uses the oil often, perhaps on a daily basis.

Deep frying is not particularly healthy, due to the formation of polyacrylates and of course the increased fat content. But it probably is quick and tasty, I'll warrant that.

Bookmark   August 15, 2002 at 12:48AM
More Discussions
Grilled Pork Tenderloin
Found this recipe and it is a keeper! Easy marinade...
LKZZ
Windbreak for BBQ
We live in an area that is extremely windy at times....
ijensen
lynx or dcs best prices?
I had posted this in the appliance section but this...
nolacls
Best Gas Grill
We are building a new home and looking to build an...
litlmikeyb
Side burner recommendation
I am looking for a side burner to put in our outdoor...
bluehaven_gweb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™