Grilling Shrimp: what's the secret?

BeanoAugust 4, 2002

Hi.

Long time reader, first time poster.

I think I'm a pretty good cook, and have mastered the grill when it comes to steaks, ribs, chicken, and such, but for some reason I seem to always undercook shrimp. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool charcoal guy and have used a Weber kettle for years. It's not the fire. I mean, I know how to make a good one. A while back I overcooked some shrimp(we had guests over) and it was like chewing on a boot. Ever since then I guess I've been gunshy and always seem to pull them off to soon. Does anyone know a foolproof method for checking shrimp doneness??? I usually cook the jumbos; 16-20/lb. Thanks.

B

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bsbbq

I cook mine until they are of the orange color and I always cook more than I want to serve so I can test one or two while I am cooking to make sure they are done. I found the timing to be difficult as well, so I started doing this and now I get great results. Good luck.

Bookmark   August 4, 2002 at 7:40PM
meagain

I've been cooking marinated peeled shrimp directly on the grill with great success. Haven't messed it up yet. I just go by the color and when they curl up a bit. More so, just a sense. The good thing about this is that it is easily solved by practice. Just keep grilling shrimp till you get it right. :) Heck - even a slightly overcooked shrimp is still pretty darn good.

Bookmark   August 5, 2002 at 12:49AM
cookingrvc

Large and jumbo only need high heat and 2-3 minutes per side, turning once. Oil the grates before grilling. As bsbbq said, testing is a great way to tell if they're cooked.

Sue

Bookmark   August 5, 2002 at 10:29AM
lindac

Wiggle the shrimp.......push on it with your finger....like you would test a steak to see how done it it. When the shrimp is just firm to the touch, take it off the grill.
Linda C

Bookmark   August 6, 2002 at 11:48PM
tmfu

Stick peeled jumbo shrimp on wooden skewers, baste them with a little oil... gril on medium heat turn them once after about 2 minutes, grill for another two minutes... if they are orange on both sides they are done enough to eat...

If you want them kind of crispy on the outside you could put a little butter on them... that will burn pretty quickly and the shirmp will get crispy before they get over done...

I've always heard that you should not over cook shrimp, but quite frankly, I've never had a shrimp that I didn't like, as long as it was not still white...

Bookmark   August 12, 2002 at 11:11AM
More Discussions
Member's Mark Gas Grills Part 3 (Continued Discussion)
This discussion thread is about the Member's Mark stainless...
Ladd
Ironworks gas grill
Greetings, Does anyone have any experience or knowledge...
sundance1
Grilled Pork Tenderloin
Found this recipe and it is a keeper! Easy marinade...
LKZZ
Best Gas Grill
We are building a new home and looking to build an...
litlmikeyb
how to remove paint stain from stainless steel bbq?
someone spilled what appears to be stain or paint on...
wantboost
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™