Anyone have info on this mammoth of a lamp?

thriftshopJune 20, 2010

I bought this lamp from a thrift store for 6 bucks because it was cool looking and really heavy. It appears to be made of brass and or bronze. It weighs around 25 pounds and stands about 3 feet tall. It is really heavy and I'd say a bit manlier of a lamp lol. If any lamps are really manly. I cannot seem to find a makers mark anywhere on the damn thing besides "Leviton" and "Made in the USA" as well as wattage. However all of these marks are on the bulb socket which I suspect may be newer than the lamp is. I'm not so sure this is an accurate mark. So... if anyone knows where I could find more info about a lamp like this or may know something.. then great. Also the lamp resembles a huge funeral urn. It is hollow somewhat in the bottom but the rest of the lamp is basically solid metal. I did google Leviton and came up with some antique lamps.. but mainly just sockets. I have yet to see any similar looking lamps.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fori is not pleased

I recommend photographs to share. :)

Yeah, Levitron makes sockets and switches (still! and not cheap ones) and is probably not useful information for figuring out anything about your lamp.

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 1:08AM
Ideefixe

Post a photo. It sounds like someone turned a samovar or a trophy or something into a lamp, with the Levitron socket.

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 12:05PM
yborgal

Could it be a Stiffel lamp? These seem to have similar markings.

Here is a link that might be useful: stiffel lamps

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 7:54AM
thriftshop

I googled stiffel lamps and found one that is really close to my lamps shapes and design. So you may very well be right.

I posted the lamp I found in the link below. Does anyone else think it looks pretty close to mine?

Here is a link that might be useful: stiffel lamp

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 9:12AM
lindac

I have a stiffle lamp and it's nothing like that....Stiffle made lamps of all sorts....as did other makers.
It's just an old lamp...perhaps Stiffle but very likely not.
Put a new shade on it and don't worry about who might have made it.

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 10:14AM
Ideefixe

I like it! Perfect for your Ralph Lauren library. But I agree--the maker's not going to make much difference in your enjoyment. Most mass produced lamps, no matter how nicely designed, don't accrue value as vintage or antiques, excepting the Tiffany, Handel, etc.

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 11:54AM
thriftshop

I always like to find out where objects come from.. it's really not a matter of value as I really do like the lamp. Of course it would be nice if it was some treasure sure.. but I don't really care. It's more that I haven't seen anyone else with a lamp like this before, and the weight of it alone is quite strange. Not that I go around scoping out lamps. It has some corrosion around the base that makes me think it was possibly set in marble or stone... you know really connected to a specific building. If that is the case a makers mark might help me find some history on where the lamp came from. Did some old courthouse get remodeled or demolished? How did this item go from being set in stone to being sold for the price of a fast food value meal in a dusty corner of some old thrift shop?

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 11:19PM
lindac

It likely has a marble base at one time.
It's very unlikely that it was part of a building...
Someone had a nice lamp....and when they broke up the house they either sold it or gave it to someone who removed the base because it looked too "old fashioned" and when their tastes changed to chabby chic or country french, they donated the lamp.

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 12:23AM
More Discussions
walnut panel
Hi Everyone, I bought this 30" piece at an auction...
sam_md
Trying to ID style of decoration on this 19th century table
This table (called a "plant stand" by the...
jacqueline9CA
Japanese Floral Calendar Plate Collection by Hamilton
I was given a set of 12 Japanese Chokin plates by a...
alygal
Early Masons Vista Pink Soup Tureen
Hello! I have inherited a great deal of Masons vista...
aeb78
name on vase
Have any one seen this name before on a small vase,...
Dones
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™