Clambake information please?

BombShelleAugust 4, 2002

Have you ever thrown a clambake for friends and family? What did you serve? Did you charge people? Any information you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zbull

My family had many clambakes while I was growing up. We still have them, but on a smaller scale. We do two types of clambakes. The "authentic" style starts by digging a pit by the shore or in your yard. The pit should be about the size of a trash can--maybe not as deep. Build a fire in it as you would in your fireplace. Continue to stoke the fire until the embers are burning red, (about 2-3 hours). Place rocks a little smaller than soccer balls on top of the embers and let them get really hot. Line the hole with seaweed if available or a wet canvas. Now you can put in all types of fish and vegetables. We use clams, mussels, little necks, lobsters, and crabs. We wrap all other items individually in foil, such as fish fillets, sausage, potatoes, corn on the cob, and whatever. Cover with seaweed or wet canvas and enjoy in about an hour. -or- Do a clam boil by putting the various items in a large pot with about 4 inches of water on the bottom. Boil and add water as needed. This steams everything. Regardless we always throw in whole onions and stalks of celery for flavor. At the large clambakes we used to have a pig with an apple in its mouth but that has now changed to ribs, chicken, and dogs. The price can be high, so asking family members to pitch-in or bring some items is not unreasonable.

Bookmark   August 8, 2002 at 3:20PM
More Discussions
Bakers and Chefs gas grills ????
Anybody know about these grills that Sam's Clubs sell...
jimt
Ceramic vs Gas - is it practical?
I will be installing a new grill this summer in an...
Lucky_Rugger
Cooking ribs on a gas grill ??
I posted this on the cooking forum, then realized there's...
cookingrvc
Smokers
I'm thinking about getting my husband a smoker, and...
pondpal
Smokin-it Smokers
Smokin-it now has a 4 smoker line up. Judging from...
dcrb
Sponsored Products
Waring Pro TF200B Rotisserie Turkey Fryer/ Steamer with Mail-in Offer
Overstock.com
Clambake Grand Pilsner Four-Piece Set
$39.99 | zulily
Green Starfish Candleholder
$29.99 | zulily
Clambake Pub Beer Mug Four-Piece Set
$39.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™