Cracked heels - why only women?

organicboatMarch 14, 2007

Has anyone ever wonder why only we women get cracked heels, but not the men? Is it really because of the shoes and sandals that we wear?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mitchdesj

Men do get cracked heels, I notice that in the summer. My husband has very soft heels and feet but he always wears socks and flat comfortable shoes 99% of the time, rarely sandals and rarely barefeet so you might have a point.

Bookmark   March 14, 2007 at 7:30AM
Gina_W

My heels get dry from wearing sandals and open-back shoes with no socks, which is most of the time here in California. Men don't usually do that.

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 1:58PM
bud_wi

A friend of mine pointed out that one gets cracked heels from wearing open backed shoes with no socks. I was skeptical about this theory, but since that conversation, I have noticed that this does seem to be the case in my experience. Since then, if I do wear sandals, I wear socks unless I am at the beach or somewhere where my feet will get wet.

Most of the time I stick with canvas shoes in the summer rather than sandals, feet don't seem to get so ragged that way.

Bookmark   March 18, 2007 at 9:53AM
anewbeginning

My pedicurist told me that the tissue on the bottom of your feet is very porous like a sponge. She says after showering you MUST dry your feet thoroughly or the water build up in there and causes the skin to stretch and therefore split

Bookmark   March 26, 2007 at 10:23AM
Terrapots

Hate to differ, newbegin, but if I dry my feet well it's only between my toes. I wear socks or hosiery and my heels are always soft. In summer, if I wear sandals or go barefoot, in a couple of days I can see my heels get rough so shoes go back on. Other causes for cracked heels and feet are severe foot fungus.

Bookmark   March 27, 2007 at 9:57PM
sudiepav

About once a month or so when I am going to wear white sox and sneakers, I liberally apply baby oil gel to the bottoms of my feet. Then I put on the sox and sneakers and by the time I take them off, my feet are nice and smooth, especially the heels. You might have to do this 2 days in a row if your heels are really cracked. You could probably do the same thing with socks at night, but I don't like to wear socks at night. I wash my white socks in hot water and bleach which removes any traces of baby oil. I tried it with darker socks, but a warm water wash didn't remove the oil.

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 11:23AM
vannie

I have stopped going barefoot due to plantar fascitis. I no longer have rough heels. They feel like a babies butt. I went bare foot unless I was outside. I just noticed this the other day. It's a bonus b/c I do hate wearing shoes in the house

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 5:00PM
katie56

I really don't know what causes cracked heels, however, here is a cheap way to get rid of them. I use a product called "Udderly Smooth" which I purchase at CVS. It is used on cows udders when they are cracked. Might sound strange but it works. At night after my shower, I rub into my heals & put on a couple pair of socks. Even my husband uses now, he was wearing the heels out of all his socks until he started doing this also.

Bookmark   April 28, 2007 at 8:26AM
wiseone82

Wow... This is informative but yet kind of disturbing and disgusting.

Bookmark   September 18, 2014 at 7:11PM
More Discussions
Hair cut advice
Have any of you had a V cut or A U cut on the back...
arizonarose
where Cathy Daniels clothing sold...?
I have a hard time getting clothes to fit well &...
vieja_gw
Can a fiftyish woman have oily skin?
What exactly is oily skin? I have an oily T zone, doesn't...
bossyvossy
Eyeliner that will not smear? Have oily skin
Is there any other poster that has oily eye lids? I...
colorcrazy
Coconut Oil
I have been hearing so much abut the benefits of Coconut...
mizscarlett2001
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™