Using Firewood for your Smoker Q

obrionusaAugust 12, 2012

Has anyone ever smoked on your smoker with firewood? I thought about using some wood that blew off my trees during the last few storms. I have soft and hard maple trees and some elm. I also thought about buying the firewood bundles at the grocery. The wood chips I get at the home depot stores just don't last long. Surely if I used seasoned split firewood it would last a lot longer than those small chips they sell. Anyone have an opinion?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

When using wood for a fire, I prefer if it came from my yard. I'm not that good at recognizing wood just by appearance but when it came from one of our trees, I know which. Oak and pecan are delightful for grilling/smoking, but apple and fig are my favorites of the woods we've tried.

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 2:36PM
shellie911

Awesome! I just learned something new!!!

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 6:37PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Cool. Welcome to Gardenweb, Shellie!

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 9:28AM
shellie911

Thank you so much for the welcome!!! I do appreciate it!

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 6:41PM
Nunyabiz1

I usually buy various wood CHUNKS not chips of Mesquite, Hickory, Cherry, Apple woods.
Many years ago when I was in Southern California I was able to get Grape Vine cuttings that was really nice for flavor also.

About the only trees we have near us is Pine which is unusable for smoking.
But bags of wood Chunks last quite awhile and it is nice to have the selection of various flavors, plus the wood is nicely dried and just the right size.

I buy a Lump Charcoal from our local grocery store that is made for them by a place called "Nature's Grilling" it is a perfect blend of good hardwoods.
"Ebony, Limoncillo, Tenaza, Hueso de tigre, Mezquite" woods in nice large lumps, last a long time, starts easy, burns at up to 900 degrees and its cheap to boot, I usually get a 6.6lb bag for $4.50.

I then add a few chunks of the aforementioned hardwood chunks to give off copious amounts of smoke for whatever flavor profile I am looking to get.
Although the charcoal all by itself is quite nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harris Teeter (Natures Grilling) charcoal

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 12:09PM
sleevendog

I only use firewood for grilling and smoking. You need lots of sizes and small 'splits'. Slivers and chunks. Very small learning curve getting to know the wood you are using and the heat it produces and how well seasoned it is. I'll be smoking a bit next week being on holiday...
chickens, ribs, pork shoulder, lamb sausage....may even rig a 'cold' box to smoke some cheese!

The method does take a bit more tending but i don't mind as it is free. Important to start a good fire at least an hour ahead to get a nice even steady heat bed of coals.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 12:19PM
More Discussions
Need suggestion for a gas cooktop to use outdoor
Can someone please suggest a gas cooktop/burner that...
Novie
Ignighter problem with Weber or Dukane Gas Grill
Ignitor Problem with Weber or Dukane Grill- I have...
etbrown4
Ironworks gas grill
Greetings, Does anyone have any experience or knowledge...
sundance1
Windbreak for BBQ
We live in an area that is extremely windy at times....
ijensen
Grilled Pork Tenderloin
Found this recipe and it is a keeper! Easy marinade...
LKZZ
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™