Persian Decanter

capot1948June 2, 2013

Found this at an antique store in Burnet, Texas. The lady there said it was from Persia and had gotten it from a man who obtained it while he was stationed there. I also have another much larger decanter and four glasses that have the exact same pattern. I've tried to identify these but have had no luck so far can anyone here assist?

Thanks
Chris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

I don't know about decanters, but you table cover is wonderful.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 1:55AM
capot1948

Thanks, I believe my wife bought those at an antique store in Brenham, Tx.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 7:03AM
capot1948

Here's the other decanter and 4 glasses that are apparently part of the set. If the photo isn't very good I'll take them out and shoot by themselves.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 6:31PM
jemdandy

I am wondering about the "Persian" part. Iran is what is left of the former Persia. Iran is a Muslim nation and as I understand, devout Muslims do not imbibe in alcoholic beverages. Could this decanter have had uses other than serving wine, etc.? Maybe it was created for export and trade.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 7:37PM
capot1948

That's what we were wondering also. I can find no marks at all anywhere on the pieces. They could very well have been made for export.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 7:59PM
LanaRoma

From what I know, wine was an inherent part of Persian culture for many centuries. The current administration's crackdown on alcohol is a relatively recent phenomenon. It probably depends on when the original owner was posted in Iran.

I knew a couple who worked in Afghanistan way before the Taliban period. Among various exotic stuff, they brought home a wine set - a pitcher and glasses made of bright blue glass with gold trim.

Here is a link that might be useful: NY Times: Wine tradition in Iran

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 9:37PM
capot1948

Thanks for the link, that was an excellent article. I wish I had an idea what time period these were made however there are no marks on them at all. They are pretty though as the top portion and the scrolls are silver. The scrolls actually stand out from the glass.

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 9:58PM
More Discussions
Japanese Vase
I just got this vase at street sale would like to know...
Dones
Ruby cut to clear bowl set - help with identification
A while ago I bought this set of four ruby glass bowls...
lana_roma
Need Help to ID Native American Jewelry Bracelet
I picked this up at local garage sale and thought it...
devincu
What is this?
Picked up at a thrift store. Any ideas?
CathyChex
Can anyone identify this nightstand?
This nightstand was my grandmas and was given to me...
Michael Potter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™