Would you buy Weber Genesis Gold or Silver?

carecooksAugust 3, 2003

Today was my birthday and my husband gave me some money to buy a new barbeque (my request). I had recently read the Cooks Illustrated article on gas barbeques and have read others in the past that recommended Weber. I went to Barbeques Galore to check out the Weber Genesis Silver C. I wanted the side burner. The salesman, who was obviously on commission,immediately tried to steer me to a more expensive model in their Turbo line. He said that the Weber was okay but it would never really sear properly. I still said that I wanted a Weber. When I insisted that I wanted the Genesis Silver with porcelain grates and interior he then said that I was making a big mistake by not getting the Gold. He said that it was much better to have the stainless rather than the porcelain. I don't have a problem with the Gold if the stainless works better but I would like opinions from someone other than this saleperson. If the extra hundred dollars were not a problem would you go for the stainless steel grates and interior or the porcelain? Do you have any problems searing on the Genesis and is this guy just full of s...?

I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jasavak

I am going to buy the Silver series. There is no difference in performance. The stainless hood is the trend at the moment. I personally like the look of the blue hood on the silver series.

Bookmark   August 3, 2003 at 4:15AM
wheely_boy

Don't believe the sales guy. I bought a Silver B and the Weber Big Book of Grilling. I have been able to successfully make anything in that book to perfection. The only other thing you will need is a good timer.

Bookmark   August 4, 2003 at 8:21AM
carecooks

Wheely Boy,

I have the Weber Grilling Book and several timers so I guess I'm good to go. A couple of questions though. My only concern about the Silver version with porcelain is the rust factor. Have you had yours for a long time and do you have any problems with rust? Also I'm considering the basket rotisserie. I checked out the comments on Amazon and people either love it or hate it. Do you have any experience with rotisserie?

Bookmark   August 4, 2003 at 11:15AM
wheely_boy

I've had the grill for 4 years now. The only rust I have is on the flavorizer bars which I will replace soon. They cost about $30. I use my grill year round. I cook the whole meal on the grill every Sunday. During the summer, we cook in the house so infrequently, the gas burners on the stove start to malfunction.
I do not have the basket rotisserie, I have the other style. The basket model looks fine, except it looks like it would be harder to clean. (cleaning is an issue) I only use the rotisserie for indirect cooking of meat that is too big to fit over 1/3 of the grill surface.

Bookmark   August 4, 2003 at 12:11PM
carecooks

Thanks Wheely Boy,

I hadn't realized that I could replace the flavorizer bars. That makes the decision easier. I wanted to use the rotisserie for whole chickens. Will your version work for that or is it only for larger items like a turkey?

Bookmark   August 4, 2003 at 12:15PM
wheely_boy

I bought a spool of cotton string which I use to tie stuff to the rotisserie and I've cooked a 12# turkey, 2 -4# chickens, 3 slabs of baby back ribs, beef and pork tenderloin, large pork and beef roasts. My latest masterpiece was a 6# pork shoulder roast. It spun 3.5 hours pretty much unattended. It was for the pulled pork recipe in the Big Book.

Bookmark   August 4, 2003 at 12:29PM
sscutchen

Care,

I would find another Weber dealer. Your sales person sounds like a real a-hole... I wouldn't trust him with a quarter.

I bought a Genesis 3000 when they first came out back in the 80s. I'm on my second one now, (a Genesis 1000; I didn't use the side burner enough to justify it) and it is about 7-8 years old. Still cooks great.

I've never had a corrosion problem with the porcelain external parts rusting... the cover, the frame, the bottom tray. I did eventually burn through the flavorizer bars and the cooking grates on both grills; probably due to my lack of keeping them clean as anything. I've replaced both the grills and bars in my current 1000 with stainless. I've also replaced the propane hose with one that has the newer quick-connect fitting.

The only other corrosion issue I've had is with the two rails that the bottom tray slides in and out on. I had to replace those. Weber sent me new ones at no charge.

It looks to me as if the only significant difference between the Silver and Gold is the stainless lid, flavorizer bars and grates. Since you can get the grates and bars, I'd suggest picking based on looks... pay for the SS cover if you really like it. The Summit models have a double wall lid, which might stay cooler to the touch on the outside. But that's a lot to pay for something that doesn't really cook any better.

Here's a link to compare the features:

Here is a link that might be useful: There is a Compare Grills menu item under the

Bookmark   August 11, 2003 at 9:23AM
More Discussions
Natural gas line connection to grill
I want to get a natural gas grill, and this is what...
Rakster
Side burner recommendation
I am looking for a side burner to put in our outdoor...
bluehaven_gweb
Charcoal grills and/or Volcanic rock grills coming back
Someone was telling me that lots of people are turning...
summerstar
How long one can use Grill (Life time)
Hi, My previous owner left us Grand Turbo grill by...
ritholtz
Grilled Pork Tenderloin
Found this recipe and it is a keeper! Easy marinade...
lkzz
Sponsored Products
Wavy Modern 6 Hanger Coat Rack with Umbrella Stand - Silver and Black - PMWAVE2
$98.99 | Hayneedle
Uttermost Malawi Table Lamp w/ Round Bell Shade in Oatmeal Linen
Beyond Stores
Argento Oxidized Silver Leaf Three-Light Pendant
$225.90 | Bellacor
Simple Elegance Chandelier
$795.00 | Horchow
Rotaliana | Luxy W0 Wall Light
$369.00 | YLighting