Pay for Recut??

cora_leaFebruary 27, 2003

I have many times had a haircut and had it not turn out just the way I wanted, but rather than take the trouble to drive back into town and take the time of the stylist, I have usually either tried to correct it myself, or just waited until I felt the need for another cut (usually earlier than "normal"), and then gone back.

Recently the gal I had been using had a baby and now has very few hours, so I've switched to a new stylist. I've been happy with the way she cuts my hair - until now. The cut I got yesterday was just "not right". Try as I may, I cannot get it to lay right, and the layers don't seem even which I think is the problem. Truthfully, it almost looks like it was cut with an eggbeater (a phrase my mother would use!) smiles.

My question to you is this. If you have already paid for a haircut (This haircut was nearly $30.00 and I tipped an additional $5.00 at the time.), do you give a tip for a "touchup"? I really don't feel I got what I paid for, but want to do what is customary and fair.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
darkeyedgirl

If someone botched my hair I'd not go back to them out of utter fear.

I'd go elsewhere, or wear a hat. OR just chalk it up to a bad experience and never go hear a pair of scissors again.

- darkeyedgirl

Bookmark   February 28, 2003 at 10:27AM
cora_lea

Well, I decided to go back and have the hairdresser look at the haircut. She'd cut on other occasions and done a very nice job.

Given the fact that I felt I had already paid for what was supposed to be a good cut, and the fact she has always said if there were ever any problems to call her, I did let her "touch-up" the haircut, but did not tip her. She did not seem to "ask" for a tip, and I am MUCH happier with my haircut now.

I guess I felt going to a completely new hairdresser had more risk involved than returning to someone I knew COULD do a good job with my hair, and I'm glad I made that choice.

Bookmark   March 1, 2003 at 12:48AM
BeverlyAL

Cora, I definitely think you did the right thing since she had given you good haircuts before. I have never gone back to my hairdressers but they have always told me to come back if I had a problem with it and they would see what they could do to make me happy. I would not tip them the second time. Some people are chronic complainers though and I don't think they should keep going back and getting free haircuts.

Bookmark   March 3, 2003 at 3:30PM
ponderinstuff

Hi Cora, I'm glad you went back too. I was a hairdresser and sometimes we can have a bad day, we're just like everyone else. I think I've only had two people come back in twenty years so that's not so bad :-). If it happens continually I'd say it's time for a change.

Bookmark   March 11, 2003 at 1:56AM
LoriAnn4558

I am curious..what is the average tip for other services..highlighting or perms or coloring? These take longer than a cut. I give 10.00 for these. I figure I am in there 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Just curious for other opinions. Thanks, Lori

Bookmark   March 14, 2003 at 3:56AM
ponderinstuff

Hi LoriAnn, it was normal for me to get tipped 15-20% of the service. Some tipped more and some less, but that was average.

Bookmark   March 17, 2003 at 7:50PM
More Discussions
twisted silver chain
When I was in Poland a friend gave me a silver chain...
bleusblue
Suggestions for good hair cutting cape
I have a hair cutting kit which I use to cut my husband's...
peabody1
dry scalp
I'm having a problem with my scalp. It seems so dry...
brownthumbia
Facial Hair from upper lip
Hi All upper lip I have an embrassing problem with...
Angel1977
Skimmer shoes....socks, knee-his, or bare feet?
I know it's a weird question...but ...I hate wearing...
marc_ia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™