Help Identifiying Please

mikepolkJune 17, 2012

I am stumped by this. Much Googling and asking around, and many answers. Can anyone out there help identify this table? It has casters and a single drawer. I cannot find a mark on it.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Identify???
It's Oak....probably from about 1910 to 1930....sort of Mission style......and a very nice table!!

Some people seem to think that all furniture has a "mark" that tells who made it....not so. Perhaps with silver and china....but not often with furniture.
Enjoy for what it is.....a nice table.
Linda C

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 10:12PM
jemdandy

This could have been made in a shop class. By the time of senior shop class, often students are required to design something and build it. The result can be from mediocre to high quality. Below are some typical features of a shop project. These are not hard rules and will vary.

1. Constructed of solid wood - no veneers. Exception is if making a veneer was part of the exercise. Plywood with at least one finished side may appear.

2. Design is an original by the student or a copy of an instructional plan. Trying to identify the style fails unless the student copied a past style.

3. Usually, there is no identification marks. Exception: the student may have applied his name or initials and the initials of his school.

4. Design elements are simple and easily cut with a table saw or band saw. No carvings or decorations.

Apparently, it is made of oak. The table top is gorgeous. It appears to be quite heavy and stiff. It will not comply to an uneven floor and would require shims to keep the table from rocking.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 2:15AM
norar_il

Isn't it what is called a library table?

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 2:15PM
jemdandy

It does have the appearance of a library table.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 9:35PM
More Discussions
Ideas about this vase/bottle?
Hello! I recently discovered this great forum and am...
party_music50
Straw in dining chair cushions-- does this indicate a date?
Hi friends, I just bought a lovely antique dining table...
avaeia
Wood antique furniture one chest of drawers .
Trying to remove the grit coat off of the stain without...
Hanna
Tapestry
Hi there, my husband and I inherited this tapestry...
colleen3684
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™