Brown Spots AKA Age Spots???

lunchlady1948February 25, 2007

Do you have them and can you get rid of them or make them less brown:( I almost cried when I saw mine:( My dr was less sympathtic~~he says it is just a sign of age:(

I went on line and read that you can buy bleaching creams but do the work and are they harmful I have very sensitive skin. I am also fair skinned I do wear sunscreen always.

What about derm abrasion has anyone done that???

What's a gal to do?????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I use a combination of Retin-A and over the counter fade cream. Ambi seems pretty good and has a sunscreen built in. They will take anywhere between 4-8 weeks to fade noticeably. There is also a prescription strength fade cream available: Eldopaque Forte.

I have never had any irritation from the fade creams. Retin-A will cause some peeling and might be irritating to sensitive skin. Renova is the same thing but with added moisturizers, etc. Better for sensitive skin I think.

You can also have the age spots lasered. I have never tried this, though.

    Bookmark   February 26, 2007 at 3:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I have found that the only difference between 1 over-the-counter fade product and another is how well is stays where you put it. They all have the same 1 or 1.5% active ingredient - hydroquinone (sp). For me, they work only a little. I'd like to try a prescription version or Retin-A. What's in my cabinet right now is Murad. It's a clear gel. My spots get a bit darker in the summer if I'm not religious about sunscreen, and the Murad lightens them up a little over the winter, but only a little.

    Bookmark   February 26, 2007 at 3:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks ladies, I have an HMO and do not think the dr will give me a scrib for anything~~~since he was very 'Oh Well' about it:( Next time I see him I am going to ask I am willing to pay full price for something that would work.

In the mean time I will go to the store and check some things out. I am fair skinned and it is not a big spot it just shows up more on my skin:(

I am also thinking of going to a skin person you know the ones that do facials and things docs don't do and see what they say.

    Bookmark   February 26, 2007 at 9:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You can buy Retin-A online from a pharmacy site. You will pay full price. Do a little search.

    Bookmark   February 27, 2007 at 12:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Sounds like what you have is something called "Solar Lentigoes", which are harmless discolorations caused by years of sun exposure. Your dermatologist can either remove them by either freezing or using a laser. I had one by my eyebrow that was about the size of a dime. My doctor removed it using a laser around two years ago. It has never returned.

However, as this procedure is considered "cosmetic", insurance wonÂt cover it. I believe it cost me between $150/250 to have "the big one" removed in addition to 4 or 5 smaller ones. Obviously, it was well worth it to me.
(this photo is not me, but my "brown spots" looked just like that).

    Bookmark   March 3, 2007 at 7:24PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
where Cathy Daniels clothing sold...?
I have a hard time getting clothes to fit well &...
dry scalp
I'm having a problem with my scalp. It seems so dry...
Facial Hair from upper lip
Hi All upper lip I have an embrassing problem with...
Best top for khaki skirt
I have a denim khaki skirt that I like a lot. What...
Skin Health Maintenance
Hi, I am 30 and need advice on my skin care/skin health...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™