LOOKING for: Barbecue Marinade

gardendocJuly 30, 2002

Hello!

I would like to know if anyone has a favorite recipe for barbecue sauce which includes fresh herbs. I'll be needing this sauce for basting, and to be served at the table, too. I am a bit sketchy about this... can one sauce do double duty? I have perfected a marinade that is sweet and spicy (soy sauce, vinegar/lemon, sugar....). I need a good flavorful basting sauce/table sauce that would go well with meat and veggies. I am vegetarian, but I cook for meat lovers as well.

And... whats the difference between a marinade/sop/mop/baste/sauce and when does it go on the meat? I heard that bastes should contain no (or at least, very little) sugar, because it burns on the grill. However, I want a good finishing sauce that is slightly sweet. Does anyone have ideas on how to do this? Use different mixtures, perhaps? And apply it off the grill, once the meat is cooked?

Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bsbbq

I really enjoy the results that I get from a brand called "Stubbs". They make marinades and sauces for chicken, pork and beef. They have a mopping sauce as well as bar-b-que sauce. I believe you are correct about the sugar issue and burning. I use the mopping sauce after the product (ribs or chicken) is about half way cooked, basting every time I turn it. Then, the last coat or two for each side is the barbcue sauce. I have really enjoyed it. It is not too sweet but has a nice spice to it. Good luck.

Bookmark   July 30, 2002 at 7:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glenda_al

This is a basic basting/swab/mop sauce that is used for chicken, pork, ribs, wild game

Swab mix
1 cup vinegar
1 cup water
1 Tbl salt
1 tsp pepper

Using bbq mop, swab every 15-30 minutes. Last 15 minutes baste with bbq sauce/or serve sauce on the side.

I have my MIL's South Alabama recipe that she only shared with me. It's a wonderful bbq sauce, and not the thick heavy kind.

Bookmark   August 5, 2002 at 5:22PM
More Discussions
Side burner recommendation
I am looking for a side burner to put in our outdoor...
bluehaven_gweb
Ceramic vs Gas - is it practical?
I will be installing a new grill this summer in an...
Lucky_Rugger
Holland Grill Use - Am I wrong???
Hello Holland Grill users... we bought a Classic several...
Radman
Stereo for BBQ Island
Hello - Anyone have an outdoor stereo installed in...
wardman
Grilled Pork Tenderloin
Found this recipe and it is a keeper! Easy marinade...
LKZZ
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™