Vanity top is not deep enough to overhang

cluchJanuary 25, 2014

Our vanity cabinet is 21" deep and we have just realized the pure white cultured marble top is also 21" leaving no overhang to protect the top of the doors on the cabinet. With young kids, and this small vanity (only 34" wide), I think we need some overhang. The top does not have a backsplash or side splashes, so we were thinking of tiling the wall around (it is in an alcove). If we pull the top forward a little leaving a gap at the back between the vanity top and the wall, is there some sort of decorative finishing we could do to make it look okay at the back? Thanks for your help and ideas!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

I'd find a local granite fabricator. There, you can select a remnant of sufficient size to fit with the necessary overhang. And, they can cut backsplash for the back and side(s) from the same piece.

Talk with them. It might be necessary to let them see your space and/or the faucet and basin. They will cut all necessary holes and probably install the basin.

It will be surprisingly inexpensive and look finished.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 12:13PM
Trebruchet

Buy a 1/2" x 34" piece of white solid surface from a fabricator. Install a cleat on the wall then the vanity top with 1 1/2" overhang and silicone the solid surface strip over the gap in the back. This will be much less expensive than having a granite fabricator make a new top.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 1:57PM
debrak2008

We had a bathroom vanity top cut from a remnant of granite. We picked it up and installed ourselves. It was 55" and ended up only $25 more than laminate. Check into it.

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 3:17PM
meek95

We had a similar issue with a powder room vanity in an alcove, the granite was cut 1/2" too short so there was a gap with the back wall. Our GC suggested putting a new piece of drywall on the back wall to close the gap. We didn't do this (a granite backsplash was deep enough to close the gap) but maybe it would work for you. Also, there are a lot of tile trim pieces that are pretty thick so maybe you could find something that would cover the gap.

Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 3:15PM
More Discussions
Grout experts, Fusion Pro, Kerapoxy, Spectralock, Bostik?
Or Tec Power grout? I'm trying to choose something...
happyallison
Classic looking offset vanity top?
I'm planning out a bathroom remodel for a 1920s Craftsman...
resseger
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
Kohler Elevance Tub - for disabled - gorgeous
Pretty new product from Kohler. anyone who is looking...
elphaba_gw
Need advice on best mirror/sconce option in small master bath
My husband and I are FINALLY renovating our master...
cbusgirl41
Sponsored Products
Avanity WINDSOR-VS36-WA Windsor 36-in. Single Bathroom Vanity - Walnut Brown - W
$937.50 | Hayneedle
32-inch Bosconi T-3606 Classic Single Vanity
Overstock.com
Austin Collection 17 1/2" Wide Bathroom Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Anna Oil Rubbed Bronze Three-Light Bath Fixture with White Flat Opal Glass
$92.15 | Bellacor
Kichler Caleigh Transitional Bath Vanity Light
1800Lighting
23 Inch Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
People viewed this after searching for: