table lamp

patches_02June 1, 2010

Friends mother passed and this lamp has been in her house for as long as she can remember. Can't find any thing to identify it. Any ideas. It stands 39 in tall to top of chimney.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

The photo was too dark for me to see details. it appears to be a lovely lamp from the past.

You did say chimney. This indicates it is a kerosene lamp. If so, there should be a thumb wheel at the base of the chimney holder for advancing the wick, and there should be a wick hanging down inside the fuel bowl. If the wick is missing, this is of little consequence since the wick is a comsumable and when used on a regular basis, might get replaced once every 2 to 5 years. The decorations hanging from the shade appear to be glass.

Look the lamp shade over carefully for a maker's mark. it may be on the rim or near the top. This lamp is fancier than the average lamp used in farm houses 80 yrs ago.

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 4:28AM
walkabout1935

Take tht photo without the window in the background, The picture will not be as dark.

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 11:25AM
sweeby

I've seen some similar lamps referred to as 'Gone with the Wind' lamps, so it might be from the 1940's or so. Or, of course, it could be from the actual 'Gone with the Wind' time frame, or any time in between. But Googling 'Gone with the Wind' lamps should get you some useful information.

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 6:50PM
More Discussions
Mystery Lamp Company
Hello. I am trying to find out information about the...
debragcar
camelback sofa
Hello there - could anyone help me to identify the...
jerome_shorter
Haviland France Limoge Covered Veg. Bowl
I have a lovely Haviland veggie bowl here but I can't...
Llweyn
Trying to ID style of decoration on this 19th century table
This table (called a "plant stand" by the...
jacqueline9CA
Assistance regarding Lofisa Porcelain
Can anyone shed some light on this piece? I bought...
imaztribabe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™