Buying a propane tank

zobeetJuly 10, 2006

Okay this is a little embarassing, but I just bought an LP grill, and realize I don't know where to go to get the tank and propane!!

I found tanks online, but I'd rather just go buy one.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cookwaresnob1

You can go to Home Depot, or any large grocery store.

Bookmark   July 12, 2006 at 11:15PM
brooksiefan

When you go to Home Depot, go to the checkout and say you want to buy the propane exchange. That way you don't have to buy a tank. I found this out exchanging the tank I got free with my grill a year ago--I finally ran out of gas and went to HD, and the guy wanted me to leave the tank outside while I went inside to pay. I asked how I prove that I am exchanging rather than buying a tank, and he said everyone just exchanges, don't worry about it.

Bookmark   July 12, 2006 at 11:36PM
cookwaresnob1

But that would be stealing, wouldn't it?????

Bookmark   July 15, 2006 at 12:48AM
lazypup

When you first buy a grille it comes with a propane tank, however that tank is empty. You then have two options;

1.You can take the tank to an LP Gas supplier, Recreatonal vehicle/camper dealer, Welding Gas supplier or in some instances a Farm supply store and they will have the equipment to fill your tank.

Or

2.You can take advantage of the convenience of exchange services. Generally you will see a large metal rack in front or on the side of your Home supply center, Major retailer such as Walmart or K-mart, many gas stations or corner convenience stores where they keep "Exchange tanks". When you use the exchange service if you do not have a tank they will charge your for a tank plus the propane gas, but if you have a tank you turn the empty in and you get a full tank in exchange and you are only charged for the gas.

Exchanging tanks has one slight advantage. By law all flamable gas pressure vessels must be hydrostatic pressure tested at least once every 5 yrs and some are more often. If you continue to use the same tank when the test date expires you will have to pay for the hydrostatic test before they will refill the tank. When you exchange tanks they are certified by the supplier to have all the required inspections and current hydrostatic tests so you only pay for the gas.

Bookmark   August 3, 2006 at 6:16AM
jeffgt5000

In my area refilling a 20 tank cost $16, up from $11 last year, propane exchanges are now $25. After six refills my tanks are effectively free. At least one exchange supplier, Blue Rhino, uses a proprietary valve only they can refill. They will accept anyone's tank for the exchange, but no one else will take theirs effectively capturing your future business.

Bookmark   August 3, 2006 at 7:33AM
More Discussions
Grilled Pork Tenderloin
Found this recipe and it is a keeper! Easy marinade...
LKZZ
Charcoal grills and/or Volcanic rock grills coming back
Someone was telling me that lots of people are turning...
summerstar
Ironworks gas grill
Greetings, Does anyone have any experience or knowledge...
sundance1
what equipment should be bring in Barbecue
I'm going to and my friends crazy once before back...
junho
how to remove paint stain from stainless steel bbq?
someone spilled what appears to be stain or paint on...
wantboost
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™