Baby Back Ribs on a Weber Charcoal?

motorfamilymotorcityJuly 6, 2008

I've been advised to boil the ribs for about an hour before grilling them - and that has worked, but a lot of the juice seems to get boiled off.

Has anyone got any advice on how best to grill ribs, using charcoal, that doesn't take a million hours?

I'll be blogging the results.......

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paddy_99

It kind of comes down to you can have it good or you can have it fast but you can't have it good and fast. The fastest way I know of is to cook the ribs in a smoker at about 225 degrees for about two hours making sure they get plenty of smoke. Then wrap well in heavy duty foil and put on a baking sheet and put in 300-325 degree oven until meat is tender and a rib will move easily ,probably about an hour. Remove ribs and let rest, still in the foil, for at least 30 minutes.
Boiling the ribs first can get you lynched in some parts of the country. It will speed up the process but ruins the meat.

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 11:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vanole

motorfamilymotorcity,

Concur with paddy99 on boiling (get a rope as they say on the PACE piquante commercial). I have a couple of BGE and smoke them also takes about 4-6 hours depending on dome temp 210 - 250 degrees.

However on my weber kettle I set it up for and indirect cook with a drip pan under the racks of ribs. At the start of the cook I have the bottom vents half way open and dome vents fully open. I have found this to be around 350 degrees or hotter. I grill the ribs bone side down membrane removed for about 50 minutes at this point I take a look at them and if the meat has pulled back a quarter to half inch I sauce them and put them back in the grill for another 10-15 minutes. Sauce them at the end of the cook if you desire to avoid burning the sugar in the sauce. They are tender but do not pull off the bones as easily as truely smoked ribs do. They are pretty darn good though.

Don't know if you have the rotisserie ring for you kettle if you do you might want to try ribs done this way. Not the tradional smoked flavor but darn good also.

Very Respectfully,
Jeff
GO NAVY!!!!!!

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 3:13PM
More Discussions
how to remove paint stain from stainless steel bbq?
someone spilled what appears to be stain or paint on...
wantboost
Need suggestion for a gas cooktop to use outdoor
Can someone please suggest a gas cooktop/burner that...
Novie
Holland Grill Use - Am I wrong???
Hello Holland Grill users... we bought a Classic several...
Radman
Rebuild a Weber Silver-b grille?
I have a 8 year old Weber Silver-B grille. Is been...
shw104
Ignighter problem with Weber or Dukane Gas Grill
Ignitor Problem with Weber or Dukane Grill- I have...
etbrown4
Sponsored Products
Charcoal Linen Paige Backless Barstool
Cost Plus World Market
Priage Green Tea/ Charcoal 6-inch Twin-size Memory Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
Zuo Pacific Heights Charcoal Gray Armchair
Euro Style Lighting
Valencia Charcoal Gray Duvet - Twin/Twin XL
Crane and Canopy
Herringbone wool blanket - wheat
Origin Crafts