Bath configuration: 2+half+half...ideal?

sanctuarygirlJanuary 31, 2014

I am new to this forum, but have been hanging out on the housebuilding board for several years now gathering wisdom for a future build. I would love to pick your brains about a revelation I have had that the 2+half+half bath configuration would be ideal for a 3 bedroom home between 2,500-2,800 sq. ft. One bath in the master bedroom, one dedicated to the two guest bedrooms (but no J+J), a half very near the rear/garage entrance, and another half near the front entry. Bathrooms can be pricey square footage, but since the standard is 2.5, the separation from family bathrooms and their contents and clutter would be worth the extra cost of a half-bath to me...I think. What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ineffablespace

That seems to make sense. I grew up with 2 half baths (one on each of the first two floors) and two full on the third associated with the bedrooms.

If you have the room, it could make sense to make the half by the garage a 3/4 with shower.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 10:21AM
Anna_in_TX

Sounds good to me. I like the idea of a shower stall in the 1/2 bath near the garage - for showering after working outside or coming in from the beach or bathing the dog. If you have a pool it could be useful too.

The 60's ranch houses in my childhood neighborhood had 1 master bath, 1 second bath off the hallway, and a half bath off the laundry room, off of the kitchen, pass thru to the garage door.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 11:40AM
rebecca3142

We went with a single 1/2 bath for our main floor, two full bathrooms on the second level (master and in between the kids bathroom). I couldn't spare the square footage for a second 1/2 bath on the main level, but I don't think that there will be much family clutter since the main bathrooms will be upstairs.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 11:42AM
sanctuarygirl

Thanks for the input so far! I forgot to say that the house will be a ranch-style home with a single floor, no basement, split bedrooms.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 12:23PM
sjhockeyfan325

I think it would be a great idea if there's a lot of distance between the two half-baths, or if you need a "family" half-bath coming in from the garage, but in a 2,500 sf house, it doesn't seem like it would be worth it. How far apart with they be?

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 1:25PM
sanctuarygirl

Yes, I was thinking of the half-bath coming in from the garage as the "family" half-bath, exactly. The other one near the front entrance would mostly be for guests and to have another toilet to use when entertaining. I tried to find a house that would lend itself to this, click on the link below for an example:

Here is a link that might be useful: House that could use the 2+half+half ba configuration

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 1:56PM
More Discussions
No door to bathroom
We are picking our interior doors out tomorrow. I like...
holcombe3
Conflicting Contractors: how to anchor a shower niche shelf
Dear Bathroom Wizards, We put an 18-inch wide, extra-tall...
hobobrian
Quality manufacturer of bathroom fixtures?
We would like to purchase the best quality for a low...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
HELP! 6 x 24 tiles are bowing
My tile guy was here today to install 6 x 24 porcelain...
cloub
Lowe's master bath estimate....seems high?
Due to a 3-year old poor tile job in our stand up shower...
A McK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™